Axe falls at PIX

knightofni

Definetly the best in NY/NJ area. Did they at least give him a send off?

If there was one, someone would have seen it and posted or heard of it.

It's a shame that someone like that was canned and has been a part of NYC Sports for such a long time.

But a bigger question...Who's next?

How can they televise 30 Mets games a season yet they have no sports segment in their newscast?

At least the New York metro viewers have SNY's Sportsnite and MSG's MSG NY to watch. IMHO, areas where local sports segments on newscasts are dropping can be justified in areas where the RSN(s) has a sports report like all of the Comcast owned RSNs do.

How can they televise 30 Mets games a season yet they have no sports segment in their newscast?

At least the New York metro viewers have SNY's Sportsnite and MSG's MSG NY to watch. IMHO, areas where local sports segments on newscasts are dropping can be justified in areas where the RSN(s) has a sports report like all of the Comcast owned RSNs do.

Why would they not have a sports segment now?

the bio still on the website doesn't mean much since the person who is in charge of that was let go months ago and hasn't been replaced!

Sal was and is a class act in my opinion. Local tv news is dead as we know it anyway. The glamour is gone. The excitement is gone. All thanks to the managers at the top and the bean counters who run tv stations. Audiences have gone elsewhere be it the internet, you tube, etc. It was fun while it lasted. We are only relevant to ourselves really. Few in the outside world give a damm.

the bio still on the website doesn't mean much since the person who is in charge of that was let go months ago and hasn't been replaced!

Sal was and is a class act in my opinion. Local tv news is dead as we know it anyway. The glamour is gone. The excitement is gone. All thanks to the managers at the top and the bean counters who run tv stations. Audiences have gone elsewhere be it the internet, you tube, etc. It was fun while it lasted. We are only relevant to ourselves really. Few in the outside world give a damm.

Wxmanpro, that's neither here nor there. Sal is a great sports anchor. It's a shame it's come to this.

According to today's Daily news, it was Sal's decision to retire.

Oh I'm sure.

I mean not to negate the validity of what you're saying. It's just perfect timing. Then again that has been happening a lot lately. I never figured he was "canned" let alone forced or decided to retire. Regardless he'll be missed in the market.

Oh I'm sure.

I mean not to negate the validity of what you're saying. It's just perfect timing. Then again that has been happening a lot lately. I never figured he was "canned" let alone forced or decided to retire. Regardless he'll be missed in the market.

I'm not saying that it has to be true, I'm just stating what they wrote. I really do think it's a combination of both. Sal wanted to retire and WPIX needs to cut costs somewhere. Sal had knee surgery a couple of month ago, that's why he didn't stand in front on the flat screen for the sports report. Perhaps he just thought he had enough. Nonetheless, as you said, he will be missed.

Anyways, I would think Lolita would get the spot. I don't see why not. I hope it's not that Glenn Petraeus, who sometimes fills in on the weekends.

It's really a shame Sean Kimmerling passed away because he was definitely top notch material and would've been a great replacement.

The only other sports guy I can think of is Warner and he's far too expensive and probably older than Sal--so that wouldn't work.

Should be interesting to see who ends up getting the spot!

It's really a shame Sean Kimmerling passed away because he was definitely top notch material and would've been a great replacement.

The only other sports guy I can think of is Warner and he's far too expensive and probably older than Sal--so that wouldn't work.

Should be interesting to see who ends up getting the spot!

As I said earlier, expect them to bring in a guy from a smaller market who wants a chance to make it in NYC. He will command less $$$ than an established NYC reporter so he can be in NY

there shouldn't be a separate salary for sports..Sorry. It's News Traffic and Weather. That's it. Get your sports from ESPN and Beyond. This is the vision for the New Television era.

I disagree, look for stations to go "hyper-local" meaning more High School and regional sports that ESPN and FS Regional don't cover. Sports still has some role to be in the newscast, but I agree the role is shrinking.

Archived