KMOV to go off Charter January 1st

Mrtraveler01

Well, they've been bickering for quite a few years now and after not carrying the HD feed of KMOV the past couple of years, Charter will be taking KMOV completely off its lineup come New Year's day if they are not able to come to an agreement. This will leave viewers of the St. Louis area's largest cable company in the dark as a result. Basically it's the same problem we have seen over the country the past few years, Belo is asking for money to carry KMOV and Charter has been saying no over the past few years. I guess now Belo is fed up with Charter and is unfortunately resorting to drastic measures such as these.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/917A1A632D7934D3862575260003F1D6?OpenDocument

I also noticed it's the same situation with sister stations WFAA too.

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/1105207.html

Unfortunately, both Charter and Belo are not acting in the viewers/public's interest. I moved to STL three years ago and the number of HD stations I received as a result was more than halved. No ABC (finally added after Sincrap negotiations). Then they took CBS HD off just before the football playoffs, super bowl, ncaa's, masters, etc. in a very spiteful move. I wrote to both and Belo made it clear Charter had no interest in honest negotiations. After more than a year with no CBS HD, I finally had enough and have gone to DirecTV. Charter is not a very good cable company. And their internet - well at the moment it works, but often it does not. If AT&T Uverse unpackaged internet from video (Verizon FiOS does, why can't AT&T as they are losing lots of customers) I would sign up in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, Charter can't afford to pay Belo, their long term viability has been questioned recently, and STL viewers will be the ones to suffer. Unfortunate.

Mediacom was fighting with Gray stations - after all the stations ran a crawl, they wanted to come back to the table ASAP! But now we're just struggling with small community cable carriers...Hoak's station here, WMBB, is having trouble with Mediacom - in their ticker they're recommending viewers switch to Dish Network...ouch!

They're removing the stations completely. This poses a problem for people who do not have converter boxes and antennas after February.

You're right. The re-trans issues doesn't come at a worst time. We're seven weeks from Tonight before the analog cut-off date. I think Dish Network pulled the Fisher stations off their lineups last week.

Based on a commerical I saw this morning (sound was off), looks like WWL in New Orleans is also in the same situation.

WWL not too long ago had a similar squabble with Cox Communications. I think the issue with Charter is the same as it was with Cox: compensation regarding digital transmission.

The Post Dispatch (or what is left of it considering all the downsizing and cost changes) reported yesterday a deal may be near. we shall see. The damage is done. Charter has lost my business, and won't be getting it back for video or phone.

No, this is apparently a CBS-Charter spat because WIAT shown a promo during their newscast asking viewers to call Charter, which handles cable coverage for most of Metro Birmingham outside of the city (which is covered by Bright House).

No, this is apparently a CBS-Charter spat because WIAT shown a promo during their newscast asking viewers to call Charter, which handles cable coverage for most of Metro Birmingham outside of the city (which is covered by Bright House).

Uh, no... this is Belo... WFAA and WVEC are involved in this...

Uh, no... this is Belo... WFAA and WVEC are involved in this...

Well, I don't see how when WIAT is owned by New Vision, not Belo, and they aired the similiar commerical during their newscasts asking customers of Charter to called to keep "CBS on their line-up". So maybe Belo is having issues with Charter, but they are not alone in the spat with Charter.

So does this mean that viewers that have Charter Communications and that live in those markets will not be able to watch CBS or ABC programming? That sucks. Hopefully Charter and these stations come to an agreement in the next few days.

Yes. This has been an issue with Charter for several years now in St. Louis, but mostly limited to HD feeds. When I moved here, there was no ABC HD for almost two years. Finally, Charter and Sinclair came to a deal. Than just under two years ago, Charter and Belo pulled the HD feed just as the NFL playoffs were getting underway (think it's a coincidence, me thinks not). I finally got fed up and went with DirecTV, which will have more HD channels than Charter's technology is capable of. Belo wants to be reimbursed. Charter has no cash and may be going bankrupt in 2009. The viewer loses.

Belo claims Charter had no desire to negotiate. Charter claimed they should not pay for something you can get over the air. Unfortunately, the satellite companies compensate local stations, and created a precedent. All this is posturing. Papers are claiming a deal is close. The Virginia paper actually says Charter is offering to pay something, movement from the no payment stance they have all taken.

Despite complaints, the FCC has not taken a stand and this situation has expanded to other broadcasters and cable providers. Hopefully the FCC in the new administration and grows a pair, to protect the viewer.

Belo is evidently willing to lose the viewership, ratings and ad fees that would result from being dropped from Charter. Folks may want to explore satellite and telco options. I find it ironic that the head of CBS indicates that the local station concept may go away in a few years anyhow, considering viewing habits today. We shall see.

I just got home from vacation visiting family for the holidays and I noticed that we now have KMOV's HD signal on Charter now. First time in nearly 3 years. Not sure exactly when it came back on though.

January 1. Charter has lots of HD ads in today's Post Dispatch, saying "now you can watch all your favorite CBS shows in HD like..." and that they are adding new stations all the time, Yeah. sure. They also make it look like its a new addition, not reinstating something the jerks removed three years ago. DirecTV is so much better. I still have them for internet unfortunately since AT&T will not unbundle Uverse Internet from Video, which Verizon FiOS does, so my internet has gone down 4 times in the last hour. quality. good customer service. They ahve tried and cannot find the problem here. I gave up. Hope once they go bankrupt, things improve.

Archived