New KABC Talent Opens

LosAngeles7

Forgive me if I am late with this, but I was eating dinner today and I heard from a distance, and for the first time in many months (has it been a year yet?), a talent open on Eyewitness News at 5. It took them a LONG time to finally do this after the anchor swaps. In fact, KABC has not been running any talent opens lately except for the early morning weekday and weekend. I only rushed into the other room soon enough to discover that the graphics look much more like the rest of their current package. And I think the talent images are the same as in the old opens. While I could not identify the voice over clearly from the other room, it did not sound like Bill Ratner. A new secondary voice, perhaps?

Forgive me if I am late with this, but I was eating dinner today and I heard from a distance, and for the first time in many months (has it been a year yet?), a talent open on Eyewitness News at 5. It took them a LONG time to finally do this after the anchor swaps. In fact, KABC has not been running any talent opens lately except for the early morning weekday and weekend. I only rushed into the other room soon enough to discover that the graphics look much more like the rest of their current package. And I think the talent images are the same as in the old opens. While I could not identify the voice over clearly from the other room, it did not sound like Bill Ratner. A new secondary voice, perhaps?

KABC's going back to talent opens...oh no!

I don't think they ever wanted to abandon them in the first place. They're the one LA station that has consistently stuck with them over the years. Their issue seemed to be getting someone to find a new voice over and someone to put together the graphics and animation (in-house).

I don't think they ever wanted to abandon them in the first place. They're the one LA station that has consistently stuck with them over the years. Their issue seemed to be getting someone to find a new voice over and someone to put together the graphics and animation (in-house).

The New Talents Opens are up...complete with a voiceover that could be or sounds like Charlie Van Dyke...and better graphics... Yeah, it's about time they completed the package.

Looks quite nice, a step up from the previous package.

The New Talents Opens are up...complete with a voiceover that could be or sounds like Charlie Van Dyke...and better graphics... Yeah, it's about time they completed the package.

Looks quite nice, a step up from the previous package.

Yes. I was thinking the same. It does sound very much like Charlie Van Dyke.

No weekend evening talent open has been done yet to reflect that anchor swap. Just a new short intro. Any guesses as to how long it will take them to do that one? ;)

I think all us LA people will acquire a taste for Charlie Van Dyke if we don't already have one. It will just take some time. Someone had to replace Chuck Riley, since he died almost two years ago, and more Bill Ratner than we already get a day would have probably been overkill.

I really wish, though, that KABC would have stuck with the updated cut from its old opens. They went back to the blander cut they originally used with the VO shift. Also gone are the lovely shots of LA landmarks that have been running since the late 90s opens. Oh well. At least everything was finally updated.

I think all us LA people will acquire a taste for Charlie Van Dyke if we don't already have one. It will just take some time. Someone had to replace Chuck Riley, since he died almost two years ago, and more Bill Ratner than we already get a day would have probably been overkill.

Actually, Charlie is big here in L.A., he was the v/o for KCBS during the late 80's and early 90's (Channel 2 News/Action News era) before Chuck Riley (RIP) replaced him. And for many years, he was a DJ at K-EARTH 101. So I think we've all more than a taste of Charlie here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Here is a normal open (not talent):

Hmm, seems like WABC inspired them a lot in this, Looks nice though! But WABC's graphics are actually better than these... But their fonts and Lower Thirds are much better looking though...

Well from what it seems as of late, KABC and WABC are actually working very close together and are actually pooling their resources together more than ever before, of course we see this frequently during the Oscar coverage when WABC Reporters, Michelle Charlesworth and Lauren Glassberg utilize their equipment to broadcast from over there. The opens are definitely toned down though and the HD Hype finally seems to be calming down, WABC almost makes no reference to "High Definition" on their opens except for a small "HD" at the bottom of the screen.

Archived