CBS 2 News 11:01pm Start Time

IceManNYR

Yea I know it's not a real exciting question but, I was wondering if anyone knows why WCBS runs ads after network programming is done and starts the news cast at 11:01pm?

WNBC starts right after NBC programming is over and WABC runs one short ad then starts the news cast.

I've started to watch WRGB in Albany and they do the same thing, i understand they need $$$ but i don't like the delay. Our NBC station puts 1 (car) commercial in betwwen the forecast maps, and the forecast graphics (7 day etc).

This practice is not uncommon. I have seen (maybe in the classic videos?) a full 2-minute spot taken before the newscast. Usually, like WCBS and WABC, a quick tease at 11 before the break of :30 or :60. Anyway, I guess it's working for them! WCBS is up to #2 at 11 PM.

WNBC seemed like they were doing it on some days of the week, as if it was based on the 10PM program ratings. They keep making minor changes in their show:

1) a bump shot with Sue "you are watching News 4 New York, covering Whitehouse station, Jamaica Queens, and your hometown."

2) Breaking News stinger: Tonight they reported a 5.0 quake in Burbank CA, with video of the KNBC computer seismograph.

3) There are more frequent errors and miscues.

WNBC seemed like they were doing it on some days of the week, as if it was based on the 10PM program ratings. They keep making minor changes in their show:

1) a bump shot with Sue "you are watching News 4 New York, covering Whitehouse station, Jamaica Queens, and your hometown."

On a slightly related note, WFOR does this every other commercial break, and it's been going on for at least 2 years.

Doesn't this kill the lead-in? Who's going to want to sit through a minute or two of commercials for a show (the news) that's going to be pretty similar on the other channels at the same time.

People generally seek out their favorite TV shows and then might stay tuned after if the next show seems interesting. I doubt there are a ton of people so intent on watching CBS 2 News at 11:00 that they'll keep the TV on through the commercials.

CBS 2 News at Noon used to begin at 11:58 a.m., right after The Price is Right ended. They were the number one noon newscast (just one other competitor) for many years. Sure, there have been other reasons (anchor changes, lead-in ratings shifting, etc.), but they now start at 11:59 after a one-minute break and they're not even a close second.

• 2 weeks later...
Doesn't this kill the lead-in? Who's going to want to sit through a minute or two of commercials for a show (the news) that's going to be pretty similar on the other channels at the same time.

If the lead-in show has high enough ratings, the endbreak commercial time could be profitable enough to push the news back a minute. I worked for WCBS' GM before; I could see him making this kind of change. (no pun intended)

CBS 2 News at Noon used to begin at 11:58 a.m., right after The Price is Right ended. They were the number one noon newscast (just one other competitor) for many years. Sure, there have been other reasons (anchor changes, lead-in ratings shifting, etc.), but they now start at 11:59 after a one-minute break and they're not even a close second.

I would chalk that up more to the changes at "TPIR". It's not as good of a lead-in show as it once was.

Archived