:Sy: SciFi Changes Name to SyFy..

first on fox

Soon, to paraphrase Rod Serling — whose vintage series, “The Twilight Zone,” is a mainstay of the Sci Fi Channel — executives will submit for public approval another name, not only of sight and sound but of mind, meant to signal a channel whose boundaries are that of imagination. That’s the signpost up ahead — your next stop, Syfy.

Plans call for Sci Fi and its companion Web site (scifi.com) to morph into the oddly spelled Syfy — pronounced the same as “Sci Fi” — on July 7. The new name will be accompanied by the slogan “Imagine Greater,” which replaces a logo featuring a stylized version of Saturn.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/16/business/media/16adcol.html?_r=1

Already posted on another site, so I'll paste here.

...let me pick my jaw up off the floor for a minute...

Let's put aside the fact that the name "Syfy" looks ridiculous. Let's put aside the fact that the "Imagine Greater" tagline makes no sense. Let's just get to simple logic.

And that is... if you are rebranding the name to something that sounds exactly the same as the OLD name, then you are defeating the purpose of the rebrand! If people are going to hear the name "Sci-Fi", then people are going to call the network "Sci-Fi". If people are hearing the name "Sci-Fi" they're going to wonder where the heck the network is at if they're seeing the word "SYFY" on the TV Guides.

I can understand the execs wanting to go to a name that they could more easily trademark and own, but it would have made infinitely more sense to just do a clean break from "Sci-Fi". You risk less brand confusion that way.

This is going to be the broadcast TV version of Tropicana - a train wreck just waiting to happen.

who's coming up with names for TV stations/nets nowadays?

"10 Connects"

"The Deuce"

"SyFy"

"This TV"

What in the smoke is "10 Connects," especially as used in WTSP's news title "10 Connects News"?! How does 10 connect news, and what is the news connected to?

I liked the way it was phrased in the first paragraph of TV Week's article:

"In some universe, the name “Syfy” is less geeky than the name “Sci Fi.” Dave Howe, president of the Sci Fi Channel, is betting it’s this one."

Hope he didn't bet the house.

Archived