Is Dave Roberts slowly retiring?

TVNewsLover

A few years ago when Dave Roberts gave up the 5:30pm and 11pm while continuing to do the 5pm and 6pm, some thought that perhaps Dave wanted to lessen his work load and retire soon. Well, I've notice Adam has been doing the 5pm and 6pm on Mondays and Tuesdays lately, and at first I thought he was just filling in. But then I noticed on his facebook page that his job description is weekend nights and Monday/Tuesday at 5pm & 6pm. So I wonder, is Dave planning on retiring soon?

I think it's been common knowledge that Dave is easing (or being eased) towards retirement. There was a story a few weeks back speculating, as they were playing around with having David Murphy do afternoon weather. I've been noticing it in subtle ways too - I don't think I've seen him fill in for the 11pm news in awhile; it always seems to be Adam Joseph.

I think it's just a matter of time before Joseph gets that spot. They've clearly been grooming him over the last few years and I think he's been doing a good job.

I do have to say it's a smart move on channel 6's part; Dave Roberts will not be at channel 6 forever. Should he choose to retire, the transition would be extremely smooth. As one person familiar with the situation said to me, he immensely enjoys what he does, but doing every weekday week after week can be exhausting.

However, I actually did see him fill-in on the 11pm news about five weeks ago. But there's less need to call him in when they now have David Murphy, Karen Rodgers, Adam Joseph, and Erica Grow to fill-in.

Wouldn't it just be easier to give Cecily Tynan the 5PM and 6PM too, or is she contractually obligated from doing all the weekday evening newscasts?

I don't think it's a contractual thing, I think it's more of the weather obsession this market has long been known for. Both 10 and 3 use multiple weathercasters on their evening newscasts; 3 does a similar tag team setup with Doug Kammerer and Kathy Orr. Therefore, it makes sense for 6 to do the same thing.

Archived