myphl17 News at Ten pre-taped?

TVNewsLover

The Phillies game ran over tonight until about 10:45pm. myphl17 News at Ten didn't start until like 10:50pm. Then NBC 10 News at 11 started at 11pm. Kristen Welker was anchoring both, but it was not a simulcast. They must have pre-taped myphl17 News at Ten once they saw the Phillies were going to go past 10:30pm. I think this is the first time this has happened.

On a side note, it seems that the news on WPHL does not have a consistent name. Some reporters close with "myphl17 News at Ten" and others close with "myphl News at Ten". This is also the case in the open. The announcer says "myphl17 News at Ten" and so do the big graphics, but the smaller graphics underneath say "myphl News at Ten".

This is standard practice for stations that "share" news productions like PHI17

For example our Fox Affiliate in lansing (WSYM FOX47) has a news production deal with the NBC affiliate and if a game or event runs over to 10:30 the newscast is put on "Live to tape"

The Phillies game ran over tonight until about 10:45pm. myphl17 News at Ten didn't start until like 10:50pm. Then NBC 10 News at 11 started at 11pm. Kristen Welker was anchoring both, but it was not a simulcast. They must have pre-taped myphl17 News at Ten once they saw the Phillies were going to go past 10:30pm. I think this is the first time this has happened.

On a side note, it seems that the news on WPHL does not have a consistent name. Some reporters close with "myphl17 News at Ten" and others close with "myphl News at Ten". This is also the case in the open. The announcer says "myphl17 News at Ten" and so do the big graphics, but the smaller graphics underneath say "myphl News at Ten".

Not surprising that the 17 news would be taped, given the amount of promotion and energy given to it (i.e., zero)

As for the name thing, it's been that way since they became MyPHL17. I'm guessing it's to save time on outcues, as the reporter has to say "I'm NBC 10's , for MyPHL News at 10." Someone at 17 must like long channel names, because MyPHL17 has nothing on "Philadelphia's WB17" (they would ALWAYS use the long version, never the short one)

Not surprising that the 17 news would be taped, given the amount of promotion and energy given to it (i.e., zero)

It's really a logistics issue. KYW cannot put on two different EWN studio shows for 3 and 57 at the same time. I imagine the case is the same for WCAU.

• 2 weeks later...

It's pre-taped tonight too.

They're being transparent about it, at least - there's a "PREVIOUSLY RECORDED" bug at the top left.

You can also tell by the frequent picture glitches and the fact that it's 4x3 SD...

It's really a logistics issue. KYW cannot put on two different EWN studio shows for 3 and 57 at the same time. I imagine the case is the same for WCAU.

i actually think 3 may be able to put on two newscasts at the same time but they don't use the other control room and the studio b is empty. but correct me if i'm wrong.

i actually think 3 may be able to put on two newscasts at the same time but they don't use the other control room and the studio b is empty. but correct me if i'm wrong.

Is it technically possible? Yes. Is it feasible? No.

With two functioning studios and two separate control rooms it is a possibility. However, Studio B is more a storage facility right now than it is a broadcast studio. And as Bars referenced, the logistics required to bring it all together and broadcast two simultaneous shows is more hassle/expense than it's worth.

Archived