WBBM Axes A Few...

kjohnson

From the Sun-Times: http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/towerticker/2009/04/wbbmtv-eliminating-jobs.html

The Lede:

Among those cut Thursday in a reorganization at CBS-owned WBBM-Ch. 2 were general assignment reporter Joanie Lum, entertainment reporter and film critic Bill Zwecker and sportscaster Howard Sudberry, as well as assistant news director Todd Woolman and other behind-the-scenes staffers.

Anne State, who had been co-anchoring the station's 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. newscasts will now only front the 5 p.m. broadcast while taking on reporting assignments. Rob Johnson will anchor solo at 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.

The station also plans to discontinue its weekend morning newscasts, which have been its least profitable.

Cutting Zwecker comes as a surprise, though. Any opinions?

OMFG...I don't feel too bad for Bill Z. cause he still has a gig at the sun times right? But Joanie? I wish she (Randy, Roseanne, Dana Kozlov) had never left WGN...when all that was going down about 4 or 5 years ago, I wonder if they (and those that went there from wls) ever thought about the future...wbbm is just a spining door, oh well, that's really too bad...the asst. nd, Todd, didn't he just get there from a CBS duopoly on the east coast? god damn...this sucks

So tired of hearing about channel 2's bulls*** every time new management comes in. I think this was my final straw. Time to change the channel to another station. I've been a loyal viewer for over 10 years but I'm tired of this. I liked the anchor team of Rob and Anne and enjoyed Bill Zwecker and Howard Sudberry's reports among others. Ugh.

Not surprising. There was no way they could avoid doing this. It seems like efforts to sell pieces of the news set, lease the studios, etc... isn't moving fast enough/creating much, if any, serious interest that could have prevented the cuts from happening. I wouldn't be surprise if by/before summer's end, we hear about more cuts.

I see today's scheduled 5 PM newscast was swapped with the CBS Evening News, moving the CBS 2 News to 5:30. Has this been done in the past, or is this something new?

I see they're also using the small desk with the studio behind it just like the weekday 5 PM news.

I see today's scheduled 5 PM newscast was swapped with the CBS Evening News' date=' moving the CBS 2 News to 5:30. Has this been done in the past, or is this something new?[/quote']

KTVT in Dallas/Ft. Worth airs the CBS Evening News on Sundays at 5 and their local news at 5:30. Also, WCBS and other CBS O&Os on the east coast air the CBS Evening News at 6 and local news at 6:30, so WBBM is probably just following in the footsteps of airing the CBS Evening News live at 5.

I see today's scheduled 5 PM newscast was swapped with the CBS Evening News' date=' moving the CBS 2 News to 5:30. Has this been done in the past, or is this something new?[/quote']

It's always been like that on Sundays. Or at least as long as I can remember. They've always led into 60 Minutes.

Archived