Bob Sirott out @ NBC 5

312newswannabe

from the Sun Times http://www.suntimes.com/business/lazare/1618384,sirott-nbc5-chicago-wmaq-061109.article

Respected veteran Chicago broadcaster Bob Sirott is out at NBC-owned WMAQ-Channel 5. WMAQ honcho Larry Wert informed the station's staff this morning of Sirott's exit.

Sirott was expected to be a 10 p.m. news anchor alongside Allison Rosati, but negotiations apparently hit a snag over a clause in Sirott's contract that promised him a boost in salary along with his increased responsibilities

From the trib:

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/towerticker/2009/06/bob-sirott-out-at-wmaqch-5.html

Bob Sirott out at WMAQ-Ch. 5

Bob Sirott, long expected to take over Warner Saunder's 10 p.m. anchor chair on WMAQ-Ch. 5, instead is leaving the NBC-owned station three weeks after Saunders' retirement.

Frank Whittaker, Channel 5's station manager and vice president for news, told staff of the departure in a memo this morning.

A veteran Chicago radio and television personality and former CBS News correspondent, Sirott already had replaced Saunders as co-anchor on Channel 5's 5 p.m. and 6 p.m. newscasts in January and was Saunders' primary back-up at 10 p.m. alongside Allison Rosati. That included long stretches last fall and this spring as Saunders battled health issues.

Sources say a clause already in Sirott's current multi-year contract assured him of the 10 p.m. broadcast opening, but the added title would have come with a pay increase and the station sought to shorten the guaranteed terms in exchange. Negotiations failed to produce a settlement.

Sirott said by e-mail he appreciated the high-profile he enjoyed at WMAQ, including co-anchoring the station's election night coverage in November.

"Thanks to them I have to believe my 'stock' went up, so I have nothing to complain about," Sirott wrote. "I'm a lucky broadcaster. I appreciate the confidence they had in me. This was my third different go-round with NBC. If there's a fourth and Larry [Wert, NBC Local's president for the Central and Western regions] and Frank are still in charge, I'd love to work for them again."

WMAQ will likely use other anchors such as Marion Brooks, Dick Johnson and Rob Stafford in Sirott's place, with Stafford, a former "Dateline NBC" correspondent, seen as having the inside track.

"We appreciate all that Bob has done for us for the last three-and-a-half years," Whittaker said in his memo to staff this morning, noting Sirott will continue to work with Chicago Tribune parent Tribune Co.'s WGN-AM 720.

Well... humm.. I don't know how I feel about this. I liked Bob in the beginning. But lately.. it seems like he let his ego get a hold of him and hes become arrogant. So I'm half sad to see him go but I think the place will run smoother without him.

Where do you think he's going to wind up this time? There were some good comments on both the Sun-Times and Tribune stories about what people thought. I don't watch channel 5 very much so I'm indifferent on him leaving the station. I would like to see Dick Johnson get the job, if anyone. Maybe they can snap up Diann Burns and dump Alison Rosati too? That would be cool. I kinda miss not seeing her on the air.

Where do you think he's going to wind up this time?

Nowhere..

Stations managements' thinking nowadays is much different than it used to be only a couple years ago. It's all about spending the least amount of money possible and squeezing everything out of every cent they have spent. It's much more feasible to do that than spending the extra money and working harder for higher ratings.

Stations managements' thinking nowadays is, "We got you by the balls. You take what we offer you and you do what we tell you to do or out the door you go! Good luck finding a new on-air gig!" Unfotunately, once word gets out that you're leaving because they didn't give you the money or position you want, it's over for you. Other stations' management sees that and says to themselves, "We don't want someone who is going to be demanding in that aspect. Don't hire him/her."

Unfortunately, I don't think Bob Sirott (and a few other talent out there) realizes that and getting a new TV news gig is almost out of the picture for anytime in the near future.

Archived