KNSD/KNBC Weather Merger

SFTV

Accoring to SDRadio.net. KNSD axes SD Radio/TV legend Pat Brown who delivered weather to America's Finest City.

Sources say KNBC's Fritz Coleman will now take over. Most likely im guessing his segments will be taped?

I know for like a month that Rob Mayeda from KNTV would tape his weather segments as a fill in on the weekends for Lorrie Jordan when she was on Maternity leave.

This is going to be intresting.

Accoring to SDRadio.net. KNSD axes SD Radio/TV legend Pat Brown who delivered weather to America's Finest City.

Sources say KNBC's Fritz Coleman will now take over. Most likely im guessing his segments will be taped?

I know for like a month that Rob Mayeda from KNTV would tape his weather segments as a fill in on the weekends for Lorrie Jordan when she was on Maternity leave.

This is going to be intresting.

and so it starts, pretty soon KNSD will be nothing more than a skeleton crew. Wonder if the rumor on ftvlive.com a few months ago that KNSD could become a news bureau for San Diego operated by KNBC will become true. Nonetheless, I'll miss Pat Brown, she was a really good forecaster and had a very nice personality.

and so it starts' date=' pretty soon KNSD will be nothing more than a skeleton crew. Wonder if the rumor on ftvlive.com a few months ago that KNSD could become a news bureau for San Diego operated by KNBC will become true. Nonetheless, I'll miss Pat Brown, she was a really good forecaster and had a very nice personality.[/quote']

But it could be much worse than that, rumors have been circulating the NBC is trying to continue cutting more of its highly-paid staff, with Fritz and Fred most likely vulnerable, after all they let go Len Berman and George Michael and they were big names.

Frankly, If I were NBCUni, I would stick their old plan by selling off their other O&O's, leaving just KNBC, WNBC, WMAQ, WRC...hell they should not have pursued purchasing all of these stations to begin with.

This is very bad news for San Diego, seeing that local talents are being reduced for nationalized/regionalized news programs and Pat Brown was great!

But it could be much worse than that, rumors have been circulating the NBC is trying to continue cutting more of its highly-paid staff, with Fritz and Fred most likely vulnerable, after all they let go Len Berman and George Michael and they were big names.

Frankly, If I were NBCUni, I would stick their old plan by selling off their other O&O's, leaving just KNBC, WNBC, WMAQ, WRC...hell they should not have pursued purchasing all of these stations to begin with.

This is very bad news for San Diego, seeing that local talents are being reduced for nationalized/regionalized news programs and Pat Brown was great!

Well, we all know what happened with WTVJ and WVIT, one sale fell through and then there were no takers for the latter. I'm still puzzled as to why NBC will not treat KNSD better, seeing as they are the number one news in the morning and at 11pm. Something that the other NBC O&O's can't do. As for the rest of the programming, its all the NBC network and well we all know that sucks, which is not the stations fault. Shame how NBC can bring a really good station down.

Hmmm.... KNSD should dial up WLAJ the ABC station in Lansing to see how having a taped weather segment is going for their newscast

WLAJs weather is hub'd at their sister station the CBS affiliate in kalamazoo (as is master control for WLAJ, as is President/General manager of WLAJ) its fun when the actual temp is for example 78 and they show it as 64

Good luck KNSD!

The only good shows on KNSD right now are Deal or No Deal, Ellen, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy!, At The Movies and Monk. KNSD has had Wof and J! since they started if I'm not correct. In any case I'm saddened that KNSD has to do this to their news dept.

I think that they had Fritz in studio to give the impression to the viewers that he will be doing the weather from San Diego instead of Los Angeles, and of course to do the usual "Welcome to the team..." lingo. Although I must say that Fritz knows his San Diego locations pretty well, that or he must have some producer tell him (which could be the reason why an unknown brunette was sitting in the weather center).

Edit: Just to add a couple of screen caps...

First pic is Fritz with the ladies, Catherine & Susan (from left to right)

And the second pic is Fritz with the rest of the KNSD dinosaurs, he fits in quite nicely.

fritzandladies.jpg.5a4bdec50c096f19926bb1256215e101.jpg

fritzdinosaurs.jpg.8d6be1102458ee6b363fac4a5aad4211.jpg

Won't be surprised if KNSD shut down its own news department soon and simulcast KNBC's newscasts. And they're the top-rated station last time I checked.

the last time that happened was when KSWB shut down its WB then CW news back in 2005 and simulcast KTLA's Morning News with local 5 min cut ins for SD Top Stories and KNSD do its News at Ten.

This is the first time since 2005 that Fritz Coleman will be doing the weather up against Byron Miranda (formerly of KCBS) who is now KGTV's cheif meteorologist.

BTW, does Fritz have somebody filling in for him back at KNBC while he's at KNSD?

I doubt Philly and NYC would consolidate anything. WCAU doesn't seem to be in the deep trouble that some of the other NBC O&Os are.

NYC and Hartford, though, is extremely likely.

• 2 weeks later...

Carl Bell was filling in for Pablo today (Sat), and while he was standing in the NBC4 Weather Center, I noticed KNSD logo in the bottom monitor with there "NBC 7/39 Extended Forecast."

Sorry for the crappy photo, it is an iphone picture.

nbc4weather.th.jpg

Archived