That stupid panic in Boston

KKyuubi

Yeah, it was all over that news, a promotional stunt gone wrong! Blame a stupid marketing campaign for one of Adult Swim's more popular comedies, and to say that CNN actually showed the sign's middle finger uncensored on AC360 last night was quite interesting. So, just wondering, how was the coverage? Who won this round? Did the men of the Blood Red Circle 7 triumph? Or...did they get trumped...

There's a good reason why I don't watch Cartoon Network anymore. It started with the announcement of the Adult Swim block (which this show is part of) about 5 years ago, then they started airing less and less of the classic cartoons. I think I've seen all of 3 or 4 shows (usually specials or movies) on that channel in the last 3 years.

BTW, CNN wasn't the only one to show that. I saw footage of it on ABC's "Nightline" and they also didn't censor the character "flipping the bird".

I live in Boston and I really have to say the all the major outlets are to blame for the majority of the chaos. They all kept treating the stories as if they were real dangers HOURS after Boston Police, Mayor Menino and Governor Patrick declared them to be "inert".

uh, it's a homemade Lite Brite of the pixelated cartoon character. Of the three fingers the character has, one is raised "showing his middle finger as hard as he can". I would seriously be ashamed of any organization that thought that required censorship.

From what I saw, one thing that added to all the kaos was where these things were positioned. I'm glad it happened in Boston 1st, because i heard there were up to 56 of these things here around Philadelphia and our media would've went crazy! What's funny though, in this story/ article, New Yorkers didn't complain and Boston went into a tizzy!

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=nation_world&id=4987710

(down toward the bottom)

In the end, bad promo stunt.

Wow I guess the city of Boston had a surplus they wanted to spend on overtime for their police department. They were all around NYC and hardly anyone noticed or cared. They were spread all over the country. Why was Boston the only city that this was such a problem?

I don't understand how the two that were arrested are being charged with a hoax? It was a real advertising campaign and they were doing their job. I understand that 2 planes that were used on 9/11 came from Logan airport. But the towers fell in NYC and we didn't go crazy.

Now the media is speculating who should pay for this? I don't think it should be Time Warner or Turner Broadcasting.

Had Boston not blown this out of proportion, then this advertiding campaign would have been a complete failure.

When will these things end up on ebay?

When will these things end up on ebay?

Already done. http://cgi.ebay.com/Boston-Mooninites-LED-Adult-Swim-ATHF-Bomb-Hoax_W0QQitemZ130075581205QQihZ003QQcategoryZ363QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

As a New Yorker, I've never quite understood the hate against the Boston. After this debacle, I now understand completely. Orson Welles is smiling somewhere.

Yeah, Boston must have had a hard-on of money. Enough to make one dump sperm by the gallons.

But still who cares !! Its the CARTOON NETWORK people !!

Myself I love the adult swim. I may be 25 but it gets my rocks off rather quickly.

Rock on,

Tybois Uphold

Editor/News Director

SVRTV-Winchester, VA

Um, disturbing imagery. Really, really disturbing. Ow, my mind's eye is blind!

I Have to say, as someone who is in the communications field, I am absolutely disgusted with the events that took place in the city of Boston on Wednesday. For those of you who may have been living under a rock Wednesday, let me bring you up to speed on what transpired. During Wednesday morning's rush in Boston, an alert MBTA Bus rider noticed something peculiar hanging off of a bridge support along a section of Interstate 93 in Charlestown. Immediately the rider phoned Boston PD, whom arrived on scene to investigate the mysterious object. The officers noticed a circuit board with LED lights and a battery pack attached. Assuming the worst, the officers alerted the Boston Police Department's Bomb Squad whom promptly arrived on scene. By now, police had shut down one of the busiest arteries into Downtown Boston along with a nearby subway line and several neighborhood streets. With the Boston and National Cable Media looking on, the Bomb Squad detonated the mysterious device.

After the device was detonated, calls began coming into 911 operators around the Boston area of several more devices. Many of these devices were placed along other portions of I-93 and other area roads, Various Subway Stops, and at Fenway Park. By now, the powers at be in the City of Boston had somewhat of a crisis on their hands. They did not know if they were dealing with several IED's or Hoaxes. Thankfully it turned out to be the latter. Unfortunately that confirmation did not come until late Wednesday afternoon. When a spokesman for Atlanta-based (and parent company of CNN) confirmed that the devices in question were all apart of a "guerilla marketing stunt" for the upcoming Aqua-Teen Hunger Force Movie. Now, feelings in the city of Boston turned from panic to outrage.

Let's be honest here folks, this was not some innocent little stunt. Sure the intention was innocent, but certainly the outcome was not. lets look at the consequences of what occurred here. Hundreds of thousands of people had their morning commutes disrupted. Several companies in the city center of Boston lost money as a result of lost productivity. Also, psychological trauma to many who thought that this may have been an actual terrorism-related event. Plus not to mention the manpower that was deployed as a result of this little scare.

Many people will say "oh this was a brilliant idea", "they got the attention and press they were looking for". To those people I say wait a minute. Pre 9-11 this may have been a brilliant stunt. But did anyone at Turner Broadcasting stop and think that maybe that attaching a lit -up circuit board and rather large battery pack to highway overpasses and other so-called "soft targets" might not cause a little public anxiety?

I think Turner really dropped the ball on this one here folks. And, you might say: "well Dave, it's just a harmless circuit board featuring the image of a cartoon character, what's the harm in that? Well once again this is where your research into your target demographic comes into play and this is where Turner really screwed up. I mean honestly if you're not a twentysomething or college student who has seen the show "Aqua-Teen Hunger Force" on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim. You're not going to recognize the image of a "Mooninite" on these things. You are going to think that this could be some IED placed here by someone planning something sinister. Odds are if you are a member of Boston's City Government, you certainly will not know what to make of this thing.

Turner also, being the parent company of CNN, should have used better judgement here. Because I don't see a day that goes by, watching CNN, where you don't see reminders that we are still at war with terrorism, or soldiers being blown up by IED's in Iraq. Turner should've realized early on, that what they were doing may have caused this sort of reaction, as innocent as the intentions may have been.

Quite honestly, I think the city acted appropriately here. And, did what any other city in America would do in this day and age.

As for Turner, and those responsible for this little fiasco. I believe that they should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law for creating a public panic. Also they should reimburse the City of Boston for the resources that were expended as a result of Wednesday's bomb scare.

My apologizes to everyone for the comments made on here. My "svrtv_editor" account was hacked and passwords changed. Again, my apologizes. Admins, please trace, if possible, the IP addresses where the logins are coming from on the "svrtv_editor" account.

I am working with my ISP, lae enforcement and others and they are being tracekd down and since they have hacked your systems, hey another change can't hurt.

Tybois Uphold

"The Real SVRTV Editor"

Editor/News Director

SVRTV-Winchester, VA

http://www.svrtv.net

The media in Boston DID blow this out of proportion.

When I saw a pic of one of the items on WHDH online, I thought "Lite Brite."

I can't see how police thought those things were explosive devices.

Those things have been up for about three weeks in Boston and in other cities around the country. Only Boston appeared to have a problem with those things.

Archived