New,WVIT HD Debut.

WBREEYEWITNESSNEWS

Hardly anything's changed except the logo... and that's been made to look cheaper. It was a bad move in the first place to ditch the NBC30 branding that has become so well-known in the region, but they haven't made the graphics flashier even one iota. Same non-animating L3's, same unmodified look, same boredom.

My parents were up there last week and took a few photos of the old and new buildings. (My dad helpfully labelled the old and new ones, as if I couldn't tell. ;) That was the first TV station I ever visited, back when I was like four years old -- I suppose I have it to blame for me going into the business....

Hardly anything's changed except the logo... and that's been made to look cheaper. It was a bad move in the first place to ditch the NBC30 branding that has become so well-known in the region' date=' but they haven't made the graphics flashier even one iota. Same non-animating L3's, same unmodified look, same boredom.[/quote']

Well, for years they did technically go by "NBC30 Connecticut", so dropping the "30" just made it easier. KXAS has basically switched to "NBC DFW" branding and logo because they use it just as much as on-air and on-screen as the "NBC5" branding. You can tell NBCU trying to phase out their channel number part of their O&O these days.

Actually, I disagree; It makes little sense to call the DFW station, the Miami station, one thing, and then switch up in Markets 1, 2, and 3. Be consistent. NBC New York, NBC LA, and NBC Chicago. A viewer is not likely to get NBC New York and NBC News mixed up.

Well, for years they did technically go by "NBC30 Connecticut", so dropping the "30" just made it easier. KXAS has basically switched to "NBC DFW" branding and logo because they use it just as much as on-air and on-screen as the "NBC5" branding. You can tell NBCU trying to phase out their channel number part of their O&O these days.

Actually, it's part of its NBC O&O website rebranding, not the on-air kind, (if you're counting KNTV and WVIT). Last year, WMAQ is the first NBC O&O station to rebrand its website from nbc5chicago.com to nbcchicago.com. Since then its sister stations also followed the trend. WTVJ in Miami became the last NBC O&O to rebrand its website after the fallout of the failed aquisition of Post-Newsweek Stations, which in turn owns its rival ABC affiliate WPLG and flagship station NBC affiliate WDIV in Detroit.

It actually started with KNTV in the Bay Area who's gone by "NBC Bay Area" since early 2008/late 2007. But don't mess with WNBC or KNBC' date=' the flagship stations, who are better off staying "4 New York" and "LA's NBC 4" respectively.[/quote']

Actually, NBC Bay Area was in use since July 20, 2008. Before that KNTV went by NBC 11 (9/16/2002-7/20/2008) and before that the dreaded KNTV NBC 3 Channel 11 which was Granite's idea before selling it to NBC in May, 2002. Of course back in the day, KNTV which was the ABC station serving the Monterey/Salinas area and San Jose under Landmark and later Granite Broadcasting company used News 11 and then from 1987-2001 The San Jose NewsChannel/NewsChannel 11 until losing their ABC affiliate on July 3, 2000 when KGO paid KNTV to force them to stop broadcasting ABC. Thereafter KNTV had a WB Primetime affiliate simulcast with KBWB (Now KOFY again) and then on January 1, 2002, KNTV became NBC and thus made KRON the douchebag and black sheep for the Bay Area and sadly has been ever since that time. :D

Actually, NBC Bay Area was in use since July 20, 2008. Before that KNTV went by NBC 11 (9/16/2002-7/20/2008) and before that the dreaded KNTV NBC 3 Channel 11 which was Granite's idea before selling it to NBC in May, 2002. Of course back in the day, KNTV which was the ABC station serving the Monterey/Salinas area and San Jose under Landmark and later Granite Broadcasting company used News 11 and then from 1987-2001 The San Jose NewsChannel/NewsChannel 11 until losing their ABC affiliate on July 3, 2000 when KGO paid KNTV to force them to stop broadcasting ABC. Thereafter KNTV had a WB Primetime affiliate simulcast with KBWB (Now KOFY again) and then on January 1, 2002, KNTV became NBC and thus made KRON the douchebag and black sheep for the Bay Area and sadly has been ever since that time. :)

It's funny you mention KRON because of Young's refusal to sell the station to NBC it may have been the nail in the coffin for the broadcasting company because without NBC affiliation it has falter ever since 2002. KRON was the biggest money maker before then

It's funny you mention KRON because of Young's refusal to sell the station to NBC it may have been the nail in the coffin for the broadcasting company because without NBC affiliation it has falter ever since 2002. KRON was the biggest money maker before then

You got that right! Without KRON being an NBC O&O, it really kinda droughted since 2002 and KNTV would've still been ABC up to now. It sucks for those that live in the Monterey/Salinas area because they either have to watch KGO's special feed for Monterey or that have to get satellite.

No wonder KRON 4 is always in last place, all because its owner, Young Broadcasting, not to renew NBC's affiliation after buying them in 2002. If KRON kept its NBC affiliation in the first place, it would have been still the top rated station in the Bay Area, but that distinction goes to KGO-TV or KTVU-TV, which ever the case might be. Now that KNTV is an NBC O&O, let us hope there is buyer for KRON 4 who s struggling in the ratings, otherwise the fate and the outlook of the My Network TV affiliate is even worse than it looks.

No wonder KRON 4 is always in last place, all because its owner, Young Broadcasting, not to renew NBC's affiliation after buying them in 2002. If KRON kept its NBC affiliation in the first place, it would have been still the top rated station in the Bay Area, but that distinction goes to KGO-TV or KTVU-TV, which ever the case might be. Now that KNTV is an NBC O&O, let us hope there is buyer for KRON 4 who s struggling in the ratings, otherwise the fate and the outlook of the My Network TV affiliate is even worse than it looks.

It was actually November 1999 when Young bought KRON, the feud continued for KRON when KNTV left the Monterey/Salinas area and went indie in the San Francisco market in September 2000. you may also have KPIX-TV/KBCW in the mix too since the top 3-4 stations are KTVU, KGO, KPIX and KNTV. I have some video from when KNTV lost it's ABC affiliate on July 3, 2000 and some stuff from the early days of NBC 3 in 2002 But the major changes of KNTV's NBC life occured in 2004 shortly after the Athens olympics when the WNBC pyburn graphics came to KNTV.

Archived