New CBS 2 anchor: Harry Porterfield

312newswannabe

From the Sun Times

http://www.suntimes.com/business/lazare/1698094,harry-porterfield-wbbm-cbs.article

Harry Porterfield returns to Ch. 2

August 3, 2009

Harry Porterfield is back.

After leaving ABC-owned WLS-Channel 7 last Thursday, Porterfield, 81,is returning to CBS-owned WBBM-Channel 2 to co-anchor the station's 30-minute 11 a.m. newscast alongside Roseanne Tellez five days a week.

The move to WBBM marks a return to the station where Porterfield first launched his 45-year-long television career. WBBM News Director Jeff Kiernan said Porterfield also will continue his familiar

"Someone You Should Know" profiles at Channel 2.

The indefatigable Porterfield said: "Telling stories and reporting the news is what I do, and I'm not done yet, even at age 81."

Who woulda thought!? But u know what, he still looks & sounds great (unlike, say, the decrepit, mumbling Jim Tilmon who Ahern never shoulda brought back in '02). Not too many years ago, Channel 7 would still utilize Harry as a fill-in anchor, something that never shoulda stopped. And this move shows this new mgmt team has Chicago on the brain which is great.

But it's kinda left me scratching my head. Like, why Harry Porterfield and not Bob Sirott? Or Mary Ann Childers? Or Anna Davlantes? Just cause he worked at the mighty 7? Hopefully I spoke too soon.

And it's a little ironic to give him such a warm welcome back. I mean, this is the guy who's kinda responsible for Channel 2's demise. Maybe they think having him back is some sort of superstitious thing.

All-in-all though, I'm rather happy with this very unexpected move!

Boston's right. Demos for midday newscasts skew very, very old and Harry might help get them near the top position, especially with the combination of two game shows as the lead-ins. It really wasn't all that long ago that 2 was still on top middays.

On the other side of the coin, I don't think Harry does anything to boost any other daypart.

Single anchor format in the evening isn't working. The pacing is poor and without Baskerville chiming in at the desk, it can be quiite painful to watch.

Mornings are also bizarre with poor pacing, awkward pauses and gimicky interactive elements. As an expample, I don't care what some housewife in Hinsdale is Twittering about a Supeme Court nominee.

WBBM is taking a big gamble with hiring Harry. Yes he has the experience, but given his age, I can't see him working beyond 3 yrs. I'm not sure he was worth investing in when there are others locally/nationally out there that they could have selected.

What gets me is that the management team isn't thinking long-term and would rather go the "band-aid" route in regards to addressing the stations overall needs.

Archived