Micah Olman and Victoria Recano to Anchor KTLA Prime News

News4LA

Wow' date=' who are they replacing?[/quote']

Jason Martinez, who was only recently promoted to the anchor spot two or three weeks ago, and Leila Feinstein, who's been there for a few years and among other things was Hal Fishman's last co-anchor.

What a shame. Jason and Leila had such a great chemistry on the desk that sparked the first time they anchored together. Both are solid anchors who bring great energy each night. This is the one anchor pairing that seemed to really work and they look like they genuinly like each other (on camera, anyway). Emmit Miller and Leila never seemed to gel, so I for one thought bringing Jason on was an excellent move.

Always been a Micah Ohlman fan and thought for sure he'd get hired at 5 when he left KABC, but to be paired with Leila. I'm skeptical of the Recano hiring, but will reserve judgment for when they are actually on air.

Even still, I wish KTLA would have stuck it out with Jason and Leila, because I think they are one of the better anchor teams in the city.

Jason will probably end up being the 1pm anchor, he has been filling in for Frank Buckley for several days. The question is, who else will anchor the 1pm newscast, Asha Blake or Leila Feinstein? Also, I must say that Brandon Rudat and Lu Parker do work pretty well for KTLA on the weekends.

I think Brandon is just filling in for Cher Calvin. According to Cher's twitter page, she is in Manila on vacation. She'll be back in September. Although it doesn't say she will still be weekend anchor.

http://twitter.com/chercalvin

But I do agree Brandon an Lu work well together on weekends.

KTLA has a list of the anchor & reporters twitter pages here:

http://www.ktla.com/community/twitter/

Oh just a thought, I wonder if KTLA will ever fill the sports anchor position. They never did fill that position when Damon Andrews left.

Oh just a thought, I wonder if KTLA will ever fill the sports anchor position. They never did fill that position when Damon Andrews left.
Fox 11 never filled Rick Garcia's position when he left to anchor at KCAL (and is quite often a fill-in anchor at KCBS now) so I see no reason to have a sports anchor anymore. It certainly doesn't help KCAL at 10 PM in the ratings where they devote so much time to sports. Micah Ohlman can do the sports just as Carlos Amezcua does on KTTV.

Well, the whole Micah Ohlman to KTLA was one of the worst-kept secrets in Los Angeles TV news that we've seen in a while. Ohlman is a solid anchor and should have been in the weekday chair by now anyway. I had my money on him landing at KNBC due to his Paul Moyer connection, but this makes sense as well.

As for Victoria Recaño, it's good to see she's getting out of the trashy "The Insider" and back into news. Is anyone here old enough to remember Recaño anchoring ZDTV News and later TechTV's TechLive? It's interesting how KTLA has become somewhat of a haven for former ZDTV/TechTV talent... first Michaela Pereira, and now Recaño.

And I'm still trying to figure out how Leila Feinstein can go from being a second-rate reporter on fifth-rate KRON to being a primary anchor in the nation's second-largest market. Confusing to say the least...

These are good hires, but hopefully this is a team that will last. Unfortunately Emmett Miller and Leila Feinstein were just not ready for primetime, they are more of a morning news type of team and it made sense that Emmett went back to mornings, ditto for Jason.

To me it sounds like Jason Martinez was never intended as KTLA's permanent anchor for the 6:30 and 10 PM news. I think KTLA already knew they wanted to move Miller back to mornings permanently so they decided to do it early. In the meantime Jason Martinez was selected as the interim anchor. My hunches were correct. I must say that I actually like Jason and he will probably be the " primary fill-in" anchor when Micah is out. I hope they put Jason somewhere. Maybe take Lu out of weekends and pair him up with Cher. I think they make a good team.

I am surprised they are hiring a female anchor as well. Do you all think this change will benefit KTLA and is another step in the right direction. Since Don Corsini has joined, theyve expanded newscasts and hired additional news anchors.

I guess I was right on the money. In a memo from Don Corsini and Jason Ball posted at LA Observed (http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2009/08/leila_and_jason_land_at_k.php), Jason Martinez will now anchor the weekend editions of KTLA News with Cher Calvin. I really like this duo together. Also, they announced that Lelia Feinstein will now do health stories that will appear daily on each newscast.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived