New GM at Fox 32

former newsboy

Pat Mullen has left the station. In comes Mike Renda, fresh-off a successful coupla years running WTXF Fox 29 in Philadelphia. I think we can expect an early evening newscast soon enough. And I'll bet Carol Fowler's days are numbered... Phil's back from vacay...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/chi-wed-phil-0902sep02,0,662520.column

I'm a little surprised by this. I guess Mullen figured he did all he could do. If you think about it, Renda comes in at an ideal time. Most, if not all, of the budget cuts have been made plus he gets a new state-of-the art studio, control room and renovated newsroom. That said, he can really focus on improving the news product/ratings without worrying about other things.

In regards to Fowler, I have notice no on-air difference in the way she runs things over that of Andrew Finlayson. That could be either a good or bad thing. Whether she stays or goes of course depends on what Renda's plans are. I agree though that we could see (maybe a 5 PM) newscast by the end /first of the year.

Archived