WGN Changes effective Oct 5th.

NBC 5 Chicago

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

WGN announced today that Allison Payne moves to the WGN Midday News alongside Steve Sanders which will expand to 11am. Lourdes Duarte moves to anchor the WGN Evening news alongside Mark Suppelsa which will also expand to 1 hour starting at 5pm. Micah Materre will anchor the WGN News at Nine alongside Mark Suppelsa. Thoughts?

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/towerticker/2009/09/wgns-allison-payne-moves-to-expanded-noon-news-micah-materre-officially-gets-takes-9-pm-slot.html#more

I figured that Payne and Sanders would be reunited. A 2-hr Midday newscast seems like a bit too much though. Duarte is very weak. They would have been better off giving Materre the 5 PM co-anchor spot too.

WFLD still has a very narrow edge in the total amount of news delivered weekly and I can't see them not adding another 30 min. newscast between 5-6:30 PM to maintain that. Since there's a growing trend of TV stations around the country adding newscasts, I wouldn't be surprised if we someday hear the words.."My 50 Chicago News."

I figured that Payne and Sanders would be reunited. A 2-hr Midday newscast seems like a bit too much though. Duarte is very weak. They would have been better off giving Materre the 5 PM co-anchor spot too.

WFLD still has a very narrow edge in the total amount of news delivered weekly and I can't see them not adding another 30 min. newscast between 5-6:30 PM to maintain that. Since there's a growing trend of TV stations around the country adding newscasts, I wouldn't be surprised if we someday hear the words.."My 50 Chicago News."

I wouldn't be surprised if they add an early evening newscast.. The Pre-Mullen/Finlayson WFLD management originally had plans for early evening newscast(s) on FOX Chicago. When those 2 came around, those plans were thrown in the garbage in favor of focusing on other things at the station..

I just don't see management adding "My 50 Chicago News" anytime soon.. WPWR My 50 Chicago takes in a good chuck of money at the moment and I don't see them reallocating any of it for a newscast specifically for the WPWR side. Management's main focus of their 2 stations is building up the WFLD side which is what the higher ups at Newscorp wants to see in this market. They don't want to dilute any of the current FOX Chicago News viewers to an alternate on a sister station. Plus, they do a pretty darn good job of cross promoting programs on both WFLD and WPWR for each other's station. News promos for FOX Chicago News are aired on WPWR so if someone wanted to watch the news, they figured they'd just turn the channel to WFLD which is what they want.

As for WGN, I kinda wish they would have snagged Judy Wang from the CLTV side to anchor alongside Mark Suppelsa for the 5PM newscast. It would be easy enough since they now both work in the same building. I know it's a bit hard to tell from watching each separately, but knowing both, I can see them having really good chemistry together at the anchor desk.

Allison Payne never did look comfortable with Mark Suppelsa. Actually none of the anchors really seem to like him on air. There is a definate air of "OK I'm putting up with this guy," Suppelsa has no chemistry with anyone at WGN

I'm just glad Steve and Allison are back together again...Its awesome Micah and Lourdes were promoted, but its still my opinion that WGN shouldn' t have brought Mark in...he sure as hell hasn't helped the ratings, I believe Lazare said that although they're still #1 at 9, ratings have dropped...

Archived