Hillsborough County Cuts WTSP Off

jestbiteme

Courtesy our friends over at Florida News Center: The Hillsborough County, Tampa sheriff's office has suspended "extending media notifications" to WTSP-TV due to an argument over allegedly "abusive behavior" by 10News Reporter Mike Deeson.

http://www.hcso.tampa.fl.us/PublicWeb/hcsoresponse.htm

WTSP says the Sheriff's office is angry over Deeson's "what's that costing you" investigations.

http://blogs.tampabay.com/media/2009/09/hillsborough-sherriffs-office-suspends-contact-with-wtspch-10-over-feud-with-reporter-mike-deeson-.html

What about the legality of this? And the ethics- is it appropriate? Is it dangerous?

I saw the Deeson report, and honestly I believe that Hillsborough County is in the wrong here.

Deeson brought up a legitimate point: How much security is a six foot brick wall going to provide and is it worth the cost? Is it worth the 600k+ cost in the lean fiscal times we are in?

Some may find Deeson's report kind of petty, but I think it is very legit and county officials seem to be overreacting. After all, this is the county of Rhonda Storms and several corrupt commissioners.

What about the legality of this?

The full release says they are going to hold up their legal obligations (they can't kick them out if they hear about a press conference - it's a public place) but they don't have to tell them about anything. Isn't WTSP 3rd place? If this was a #1 station it would never happen.

WTSP is #1 at 11pm and, depending on the book, 2nd or 3rd at 6pm.

Normally, I'm not quick to come to their defense, but I think Deeson and WTSP are being targeted because Deeson has done many other reports critical of Hillsborough County policies and spending. His report a few years ago on a little know corrupt county transportation commission was very well done.

Archived