Chicago loses 2016 Olympics to Rio: Local coverage?

johnnya2k6

I had the day off today and turned on the TV around 10 a.m. before the voting took place. I flipped through most of the channels, but stuck to WBBM-Channel 2. Rob Johnson was back in the newsroom anchoring solo, with an on-air guest from DePaul University...can't remember his name right now. He was a little awkward in his delivery, but I guess I'm used to that by now watching that channel. He tossed it back and forth between Jay Levine in Copenhagen, Mike Flannery and Ed Curran in the studio, and Roseanne Tellez, Dorothy Tucker, and Susan Carlson across the street. I thought Susan Carlson's reporting was the best of all of them. She is a true natural.

I noticed WMAQ-Channel 5 had a big screen set up in the plaza as well...perhaps to compete with CBS 2's monstrous unfinished metal jumbotron? At one point in time during one of Susan Carlson's reports, you could see the channel 5 simulcast on screen behind her. I think I caught WGN's live shot take in a little bit of the channel 2 screen as well, but every other station used creative camera angles to avoid channel 2's jumbotron.

I noticed WMAQ-Channel 5 had a big screen set up in the plaza as well...perhaps to compete with CBS 2's monstrous unfinished metal jumbotron? At one point in time during one of Susan Carlson's reports, you could see the channel 5 simulcast on screen behind her. I think I caught WGN's live shot take in a little bit of the channel 2 screen as well, but every other station used creative camera angles to avoid channel 2's jumbotron.

Any other station that does shots in Daley plaza always tries as best as possible to avoid facing the WBBM building for obvious reasons. The big screen set up in Daley Plaza was set up by the City/2016 Chicago Olympic Commitee for the event. The reason why it was NBC 5 on that screen is of course that the Olympics are exclusive to NBC and that's what you'd want on that screen if you're trying to show that this is the place for the Olympics..

I'm actually glad Chicago didn't get chosen and I'm sure most people around the Chicago area are. This is really no place for the Olympics.. Local TV stations, of course, went WAY overboard on people being "dissappointed" when in actuality, most people around weren't surprised and/or could care less.

Lazynetjunkie, as a curious new yorker, you, living in chicago, what makes chicago unsuitable for the olympics? Also what does that do to Daley's legacy with the loss?

As for everybody, is there any american city suitable for the olympics now? (future, perhaps?, seeing Rio de Janeiro getting the games perhaps for better economy and sympathetically for being the first south american country to host the games).

Lazynetjunkie, as a curious new yorker, you, living in chicago, what makes chicago unsuitable for the olympics? Also what does that do to Daley's legacy with the loss?

You gotta be kiddin me, right? "Daley's legacy"? hahahahahahha.. It does absolutely nothing to it. Daley is going to be mayor of Chicago for as long as he wants to be mayor. Chicago is the most corrupt city in the country. Cook County is the most corrupt county in the country. Illinois is the most corrupt state in the country. Things around here are going to remain "the way they've always been". Heck, we might as well have just kept Blagojevich in office as governor, at least he wasn't so sneaky about raising taxes. Current Gov. Pat Quinn is all about raising taxes and cutting everything in the state. And as a tax paying resident in this state, I see absolutely nothing coming from this state.

It's hard for the rest of the country to understand what goes on around here.. They don't say much of it in the news to the rest of the country. You just gotta live here to know what happens. I probably could go on and on for many hours on stuff that goes on here and you'd think "that kind of stuff really happens in America?!?!". Most people around the country are naive of this sort of stuff happening this day in age in America. Of course, Chicagoans put up with it because they really have no choice. People and business will continue to keep supporting what's going on here because if they don't, well, you can forget about having a business in Chicago. It's true when they say it's pay to play here. It's true when people get elected into certain offices around here because of their race. And really, if the country had a much better idea of the way Chicago politics works, I'm sure our president wouldn't be who it is right now..

Chicago being "unsuitable" has nothing to do with the location. Just think of all the corruption involved if Chicago would have gotten the Olympics.. All the "jobs" created would only go to friends or family or people connected to Mayor Daley, City of Chicago, and Cook County. Most people knew that regular normal people around wouldn't get any of these jobs. Chicago already has the highest taxes in the country. You can count on those going WAYYYYY up. NOTHING ever comes in on budget here in Chicago. You can count on this costing 2 times, 3 times, 4 times, or even more times what the original planned budget was and you can count on all that somehow being passed on to the people that live here. Neighborhoods will be torn down for some of the various Olympic sites and people will get not even a quarter of what their home is worth.

I'm not going to get into any REAL details here because this isn't really the place for it. It's a good thing that the International Olympic commitee knew better than to vote for Chicago. If the Olympics were to happen here, you would have seen a real mediocre, half assed show costing many times more than budgeted.. Probably the worst Olympics presentation ever. Most people in the Chicago area didn't want the Olympics happening here.. People here know. Trust me, this isn't like LA or Atlanta..

However, local media played it up ALOT more than it really was and made it the biggest deal in the world that we didn't get it. No wonder why ratings for all the Chicago newscasts are falling more and more each year.. Note: I said newscast ratings. People are turning off the news. Ratings are great for everything else in between.

One last thing, that Chicago 2016 Olympics presentation video.. That had to be one of the biggest P.O.S. I've seen. Come on, that damn "Sweet Home Chicago" song?!?! Most people around here hate that song.. Along with that whole damn "Blues Brothers" image/stereotype that Chicagoans hate but hell, the city is pushing that image on itself to try to win the Olympics.. That movie did shitty in the box office when it came out and John Belushi wasn't even from the city. He's from the far west suburb of Downers Grove. Honestly, us trying for the Olympics was a big joke.

As for everybody, is there any american city suitable for the olympics now?

If you mean North America, I can see Toronto as a possibility for 2020 or 2024.

As for Winter? Why not give Anchorage another go at it in 2018 or 2022; I remember when we came super close to getting the games in 1992 and later 1994!

Archived