WNBC Live shots

StudioTech

I think this has something to do with NBC O&Os phasing out their Betacam SX camcorders and going to the smaller, hand-held Panasonic HVX series of P2 tapeless camcorders. These new cameras are only equipped with HD-SDI and composite outputs, and most live trucks aren't upgraded with the capability to handle HD-SDI. So field crews are thus forced to use analog composite out on the cameras (the same cable that you used to hook up your VCR in the early 1990s) and into the live truck, forcing them to downgrade to a 4:3 signal.

Once the trucks are upgraded with the capability to handle an HD-SDI signal, 16:9 should be back.

IIRC, WNBC live trucks weren't transmitting in 16:9 SD, it was sent out as a "squeezed" 16:9 image, in a 4:3 SD frame, then stretched in the control room. As a result, it looked awfully soft.

Usually anything that is "broadcast" in 16x9 SD has been compressed to 4x3 somewhere in the process, usually using pre-existing 4x3 SD equipment. I don't think many things are made for 16x9 SD (doesn't really make economic sense to actually buy such equipment), so they use older 4x3 SD equipment until newer 16x9 HD equipment is put in.

I *believe* Panasonic HVX cameras can put out a 16x9 SD picture (they're HD cameras) through the analogue/composite outputs.

Another theory to think about, they could have temporarily reverted back while they install new equipment to make HD live possible.

Archived