WBRC is going HD in about 2 weeks!

BamaNewser

Welcome to the forum!

I maintain the HD news thread and list where we have all of our discussion about HD news, so there aren't a bunch of threads every time a station launches HD news. For future reference, post all HD news discussion there :drool:

This will be interesting for them... I wonder if they will get one of the new Raycom looks...

The set is by FX, but they're waiting on a new city backdrop to be printed (two, in fact). When the skyline was photostitched together, some of the buildings ended up crooked and jutting out in places they shouldn't have. The logo will remain the same, but the set is something truly different than anything this market has ever seen.

I am so excited! WVTM is the only station in Birmingham right now broadcasting in HD... and they have gotten in a rut.. The newscasts are boring. I live in Birmingham, and I am SOOO excited that WBRC is going HD! I usually don't watch FOX6, but if they de-foxify, I will definitely be watching, maybe even if they don't. lol, I really hope their website gets a redesign too, it's horrible.

I actually like the Fox O&O look on WBRC. Would love to see the HD version of the Fox O&O graphics but with a few localized adjustments like former sister stations KDVR and KTVI have. Also I wish they would change the name of their newscasts on WBRC to reflect Birmingham a little more (but that's all the stations in the market). I hate all of them want to put "Alabama" in their name like they serve the majority of the state, but the other cities in the state recognize their cities in newscast names like "Good Day Birmingham" instead of "Good Day Alabama"...

I actually like the Fox O&O look on WBRC. Would love to see the HD version of the Fox O&O graphics but with a few localized adjustments like former sister stations KDVR and KTVI have. Also I wish they would change the name of their newscasts on WBRC to reflect Birmingham a little more (but that's all the stations in the market). I hate all of them want to put "Alabama" in their name like they serve the majority of the state, but the other cities in the state recognize their cities in newscast names like "Good Day Birmingham" instead of "Good Day Alabama"...

Probably because the actually do serve the majority of the state.

Exactly, lol. And also, I think the FOX O&O graphics and music are horrid. I have seen O&O HD graphics, and they very closely mimic FOX News Channel HD graphics. I don't like them very much. But apparently from what they have been saying on air, this set is going to look unlike anything the Birmingham news market has ever seen... So. We'll see.

Actually, they don't. The Birmingham TV market is the largest one in the state serving some 21 counties, but that's only about quarter of the state population. Also the same could be said about the TV market of Atlanta as well since it's the largest in Georgia (including Athens and Rome). 95% of the news stories from the newscasts are about something specific to Greater Birmingham area rarely if ever out of Tuscaloosa, Gadsden, or Anniston. However, other cities' news stations show no fear at emphasizing the main city in their newscasts' title.

I think part of the reason it's done in The Ham, is because that area used to be three different markets, until the big change in the 1990s. This is probably a way to make folks in the outlying cities feel like they're "connected". I think it's a smart move.

Also, just off the top of my head:

WSFA Montgomery, AL - "Today in Alabama"

WTVR Richmond, VA - "Virginia This Morning"

WLOX Biloxi, MS - "Good Morning Mississippi"

Those are all much smaller geographical markets, yet state titles are used. And there are far more stations who use their state in a slogan, such as "Louisiana's News Leader", etc. It's not the end of the world.

I think part of the reason it's done in The Ham, is because that area used to be three different markets, until the big change in the 1990s. This is probably a way to make folks in the outlying cities feel like they're "connected". I think it's a smart move.

Also, just off the top of my head:

WSFA Montgomery, AL - "Today in Alabama"

WTVR Richmond, VA - "Virginia This Morning"

WLOX Biloxi, MS - "Good Morning Mississippi"

Those are all much smaller geographical markets, yet state titles are used. And there are far more stations who use their state in a slogan, such as "Louisiana's News Leader", etc. It's not the end of the world.

I feel you on that. However, many of us in Birmingham feel as if the news stations since late 1990's have been trying their best to portray the city as "bad place with black people" while glorifying the outlying regions as "good places", thus destroying any sense of unified centergy of the region would have compared to other markets of similar size. In the long run, it makes us look more backwards and divided than via the media compared to how the region really is...

WBRC premiered today in HD.

Here are some shots of weather graphics and one shot of the sports/morning desk. I'm going to take some video tonight from FOX6 News at 9 and 10. The set is gorgeous... the wide shots they've been taking show the really unique design approach that FX took with the desk. I has a V shape on the side. Like I said I will take video later on tonight.

FOX6 WBRC is now in HD!

Photo152.jpg

Photo153.jpg

Photo154.jpg

Photo155.jpg

WBRC premiered today in HD.

Here are some shots of weather graphics and one shot of the sports/morning desk. I'm going to take some video tonight from FOX6 News at 9 and 10. The set is gorgeous... the wide shots they've been taking show the really unique design approach that FX took with the desk. I has a V shape on the side. Like I said I will take video later on tonight.

FOX6 WBRC is now in HD!

Photo152.jpg

Photo153.jpg

Photo154.jpg

Photo155.jpg

wow... looks great so far!!!

I see they went back to that "FOX6 Storm Warn" weather brand, which I didn't miss. They also dropped the "Most Powerful Name in Local News" slogan introduced by NewsCorp in 2006 for the "On Your Side" for their slogan.

They basically adapted a hybrid of the old O&O graphics with a more high-definition look. I kind of expected them to keep the O&O logo and just add "HD". It looks like what former O&O/Local TV sister station WJW did when it went HD in early 2008.

Charlie is still the voice of WBRC.

The only thing I don;t understand yet is why the reporters do not mention HD news in their story.

That would pretty much be redundant since HD is already mentioned in the bug and in the opens. And besides, it becomes annoying after awhile when reporters mention HD in every story, which WTVF and some other stations tend to do (a lot).

• 3 weeks later...
congrats on the WVUA gig! what are you doing there?

haha, lame stuff. Right now just editing... linear. =( it sucks. but I'll live.

Finally got around to getting a video of the new WBRC open and a quick shot of the main desk. The background is really nice.. when you watch it on air it almost looks real.. kinda 3-D. As you can see, the directors are still having a hard time transitioning from hard control to server... They've been HD and in the renovated studio for almost 2 weeks now... and there are continuous graphic screwups and wrong takes.

Sorry that it's not in true HD and sorry that the audio is so shitty.

[YT][/YT]

haha, lame stuff. Right now just editing... linear. =( it sucks. but I'll live.

Finally got around to getting a video of the new WBRC open and a quick shot of the main desk. The background is really nice.. when you watch it on air it almost looks real.. kinda 3-D. As you can see, the directors are still having a hard time transitioning from hard control to server... They've been HD and in the renovated studio for almost 2 weeks now... and there are continuous graphic screwups and wrong takes.

Sorry that it's not in true HD and sorry that the audio is so shitty.

Hopefully, it will be the only time you have to edit linear. Ugh.

Looks great! Have you seen Jason Kelley on there yet?

Archived