Jay Leno Show Hurting 11:00 newscasts?

WAVY 10 Fan

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-nbc-affils19-2009oct19,0,557820,full.story

Found this article mentioning how Jay Leno's show has reportedly hurt the newscasts of the NBC affiliates at 11:00 p.m. The stations mentioned were KSHB, WHDH (which all we all know didn't want to take the show to begin with) and WBAL.

It was interesting noticing how hard WBAL was hit, going from a tight battle with CBS station WJZ for the top slot to a distant 2nd.

What's the deal here?

WTKR (CBS) is running promos claiming they are #1 at 11. They have flirted with second place for years. WAVY (NBC) was #1 at 11 forever.

I will have to keep an eye on VARTV to see if that can be confirmed, but I would seriously be shocked if that was true.

I will have to keep an eye on VARTV to see if that can be confirmed' date=' but I would seriously be shocked if that was true.[/quote']

I wouldn't be shocked, considering how strong CBS's lineup is and how poorly Leno's show is performing. I don't think the majority of people have "their station" for news anymore... it's just the same 'ol same 'ol on every channel.

He's hurting WMAQ's 10pm show in Chicago...

From today's Sun Times, by Lewis Lazare...

Jay Leno's new prime-time talk show started out big in the ratings in Chicago, but what a difference a few weeks makes.

From the impressive 13.8 rating in the Chicago market the night it debuted on WMAQ-Channel 5 in September, Leno's numbers have plummeted. And that has created big problems for Channel 5's flagship 10 p.m. newscast, which was hoping to use a strong lead-in from Leno to gain ground on perennial 10 p.m. news front-runner WLS-Channel 7.

Instead, WMAQ finds itself in the unenviable position of battling to remain the No. 2-rated 10 p.m. newscast as WBBM-Channel 2's 10 p.m. newscast -- long the underdog -- shows real signs of gaining momentum, thanks to huge lead-ins from several popular prime-time shows this fall, including "The Good Wife." For the five-day week that ended Oct. 16, for example, the Leno lead-in to Channel 5's 10 p.m. news averaged a paltry 3.4 rating, compared with a whopping 8.8 rating lead-in on Channel 2, and a 6.7 rating lead-in on Channel 7.

For that same week, WBBM's 10 p.m. newscast scored a 5.4 rating, beating out WMAQ's 10 p.m. news, which could do no better than 5.0. WLS's top-ranked 10 p.m. news averaged a commanding 9.2 rating that same week.

While Leno so far has failed to work wonders for WMAQ, the station and its leader Larry Wert could take some comfort in the fact that its 10 p.m. news rating at least improved on the disappointing lead-in numbers Leno provided. And WBBM still is losing a chunk of its substantial prime-time audience when its 10 p.m. news begins. But WBBM News Director Jeff Kiernan has said for months his goal was to get more viewers to sample his revamped newscast, and more of them are indeed doing just that.

Will NBC be forced to pull Leno if his numbers don't improve in Chicago and other key markets where he also isn't delivering? Wert declined comment, and other local TV execs doubted NBC would take such a radical step anytime soon. But in the television world, all kinds of changes can come very suddenly.

Will NBC be forced to pull Leno if his numbers don't improve in Chicago and other key markets where he also isn't delivering? Wert declined comment, and other local TV execs doubted NBC would take such a radical step anytime soon. But in the television world, all kinds of changes can come very suddenly.

They might, but I doubt Dumb and Dumber (Immelt and Zucker) will ever admit that they bet wrong on this unless things get to the point where stations are threatening to pull their affiliation.

Is Leno also hurting KNBC? I think their newscasts are in 3rd place from what I heard.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118010351.html?categoryId=14&cs=1&cache=false

NBC affiliates in particular have been stung this fall; due to its low-rated "Jay Leno Show" lead-in at 10 p.m., Los Angeles' KNBC has seen its late news drop 25% so far this fall in the adults 25-54 demo (the preferred measurement for local news).

But ABC also struggles at 10 p.m., and in L.A. that's trickled down to O&O KABC, which has experienced a 17% drop for its 11 p.m. newscasts. The only station to see a gain -- third-place KCBS -- is up 20%, perhaps in part because of parent CBS' strong primetime performance.

WPXI-TV in Pittsburgh is another exception to The Jay Leno Show hurting 11PM newscast's ratings on NBC affiliates.

"The Jay Leno Show," which is hurting the late news ratings of NBC stations nationwide, has had less negative impact on Channel 11 because Pittsburgh is an above average market for Leno in prime time. In October, WPXI was in third place in households and the key demo but was basically on par with its pre-"Leno" ratings from July. Among local stations, the 11 p.m. news on WPXI saw the most ratings growth from its lead-in.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09303/1009371-67.stm#ixzz0VZ2oruND

But wait, there's more: 'Leno' got beat by *'SpongeBob'*!

'Not only did SpongeBob log more viewers than Jay on Friday -- 8 million to Jay's 5 million -- but he also copped more of the 18-to-49-year-old audience Jay targets so assiduously and SpongeBob does not.'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/10/AR2009111017834.html

But wait, there's more: 'Leno' got beat by *'SpongeBob'*!

'Not only did SpongeBob log more viewers than Jay on Friday -- 8 million to Jay's 5 million -- but he also copped more of the 18-to-49-year-old audience Jay targets so assiduously and SpongeBob does not.'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/10/AR2009111017834.html

SERIOUSLY!!!! NBC has hit a new low!!!

Archived