Oprah To End Her Show in 2011

NewsJunkie247

Oprah Winfrey has decided to call it quits in 2011 at the end of her 25th season. Apparantly, she is expected to make the announcement on her show Friday.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7128363

I wonder how many affiliates across the country are worrying about their future without having the Queen of Talk as their lead-in, even though Oprah's ratings have been slipping.

I wonder how many affiliates across the country are worrying about their future without having the Queen of Talk as their lead-in, even though Oprah's ratings have been slipping.

And what will the ABC O&Os do?

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/2009/11/its-quickly-become-hollywoods-favorite.php

I read somewhere (though I can't find it again), that most of the ABC O&Os that carry Oprah would likely expand newscasts to fill the slot.

WPVI led with this at 11. (I imagine all the ABC O&Os did.) It was mostly a lookback piece cobbled together from old interviews.

I thought the way they tried to spin it was hilarious. "Oprah is expected to start her own TV network, but is leaving to have more time to focus on her humanitarian efforts..." Dude. It's seriously for the TV network. You don't have to mention it, but don't try to come up with a bull**** reason to minimize it.

WPVI led with this at 11. (I imagine all the ABC O&Os did.) It was mostly a lookback piece cobbled together from old interviews.

I thought the way they tried to spin it was hilarious. "Oprah is expected to start her own TV network, but is leaving to have more time to focus on her humanitarian efforts..." Dude. It's seriously for the TV network. You don't have to mention it, but don't try to come up with a bull**** reason to minimize it.

EVERY Chicago station led with this story for obvious reasons. The rumors floating here are a bit different.. She's still gonna have her show out there along with her network. It won't be the same show. I'm sure most of you have noticed that her show has completely shifted to a different direction the past few years. She's gotten away from talking about issues that effect people to being all about interviewing celebrities. One reason for going out there is easier access to having celebrities on every single day. Plus, she lives out there in LA now. She rarely is in Chicago anymore these days except for show taping days. Saves her unnecessary back and forth flying trips.

I think most Chicagoans could care less that she's leaving. The show was good when it was a regular daytime style talk show but when it became all about her in the mid-'90s, it killed it for many people. WLS in Chicago airs Oprah at 9AM (the same time she's been on since her show first started many years ago). I think WLS will just try to snag "Live! with Regis and Kelly" from WGN to fill the spot.

I'm sure if WBBM was still in their old building and never moved into that new building, they would have starting making a deal to buy her Chicago studios.. lol

WLS in Chicago airs Oprah at 9AM (the same time she's been on since her show first started many years ago). I think WLS will just try to snag "Live! with Regis and Kelly" from WGN to fill the spot.

Does WLS air Oprah live at 9AM Central Time? In most markets, it airs in the afternoon, usually at 4PM.

Good thread.

Yes, Oprah airs live on WLS, but only on select Fridays. When she still cared, it was a little more frequently.

Her decision to quit will have little impact on the Chicago TV landscape.

And when Lady O goes to LA, don't look for her "new" show to be a numbers draw in Chicago. We tend not to forget abandonment.

No doubt WVEC's GM has been crying.

Is it just me or, perhaps due to her show originating from WLS' studio, are most of the stations with Oprah ABC affiliates?

Most of the ABC O&O Stations (excluding KTRK-TV in Houston and WJRT-TV in Flint thanks to NewsJunkie and TW-804 for clarifying that out below) carry Oprah, however since the show is syndicated it does not have to be mandated to be carried by the ABC affiliates since its not owned or produced by ABC program, though ABC seems to have interest in airing a lot of her specials however such as the Legend's Ball and the limited run "Oprah's Big Give" back in 2008.

Anyway getting back on topic a bit, the same can be said for Regis and Kelly, a lot of ABC affiliates carry it, but is not mandated to be an ABC Affiliate only program... Anyway Oprah has truly been an icon of unprecedented proportions inspiring and building the foundation for many other talk show celebrities such as Tyra Banks, Ellen Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, and etc...

The amount of influence the woman brought to so many people is quite remarkable and perhaps earth shattering in some retrospects, and I think she is a legend in her own right. She's a self-made Billionaire who worked extremely hard and faced several challenges in her life to get there, so I really commend her for that. And she deserves a well rested retirement in 2011.

It would be nice if she did squeeze in an extra 5 years, to make it a total of 30 years set a firm (hard to break) record of being the longest daytime running talk show in history. Anyway it makes me wonder what is next for her and the ABC O&Os that use her as a lead in. The newscasts that follow the show will likely suffer, unless they air her show in rerun format which I highly doubt.. Here in New York, I'm hoping WABC would extend their newscasts to 4:00PM just like their big sister in Los Angeles (KABC), which is something they've never done before at least not in the years I've been watching. My guess is if they do so, Diana and Sade would perhaps Anchor the 4PM and 6PM editions with Bill and Liz anchoring the 5PM and 11PM.

All of the ABC O&O Stations carry Oprah, however since the show is syndicated it does not have to be mandated to be carried by the ABC affiliates since its not owned or produced by ABC program, though ABC seems to have interest in airing a lot of her specials however such as the Legend's Ball and the limited run "Oprah's Big Give" back in 2008.

Anyway getting back on topic a bit, the same can be said for Regis and Kelly, a lot of ABC affiliates carry it, but is not mandated to be an ABC Affiliate only program... Anyway Oprah has truly been an icon of unprecedented proportions inspiring and building the foundation for many other talk show celebrities such as Tyra Banks, Ellen Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, and etc...

The amount of influence the woman brought to so many people is quite remarkable and perhaps earth shattering in some retrospects, and I think she is a legend in her own right. She's a self-made Billionaire who worked extremely hard and faced several challenges in her life to get there, so I really commend her for that. And she deserves a well rested retirement in 2011.

It would be nice if she did squeeze in an extra 5 years, to make it a total of 30 years set a firm (hard to break) record of being the longest daytime running talk show in history. Anyway it makes me wonder what is next for her and the ABC O&Os that use her as a lead in. The newscasts that follow the show will likely suffer, unless they air her show in rerun format which I highly doubt.. Here in New York, I'm hoping WABC would extend their newscasts to 4:00PM just like their big sister in Los Angeles (KABC), which is something they've never done before at least not in the years I've been watching. My guess is if they do so, Diana and Sade would perhaps Anchor the 4PM and 6PM editions with Bill and Liz anchoring the 5PM and 11PM.

Actually, WJRT-TV, the ABC O&O in the Flint/Saganaw, Michigan market does not air Oprah. It instead airs on WNEM-TV, the CBS affiliate. I was wondering myself if it airs on all ABC O&O's, but aparantly it does not.

As for Oprah ending her show in 2011, I don't think she is going to be as popular on her cable network as she has been and continues to be on her syndicated show. I think the majority of people that watch her show do it because it is on network affiliates and was for an hour a day. Now that she is creating OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network, pretty cool, huh), I don't know if as many people will make it a priority to watch her network and the different things she does on her network. I also think people would want her to stick to the format of doing a talk show with both informative and entertaining topics, and not necessarily doing whatever she likes.

And as for it affecting affiliates, ABC O&O's are probably not happy at all since most of their success in the ratings can be attributed to Oprah. I know WTAE is probably not too upset over this, since in Pittsburgh, Oprah is often tied for 2nd place, behind KDKA-TV's newscasts and Judge Judy on WPXI. WTAE will probably want to create a newscast to compete with KDKA. Now in New York and WABC, it is a different story. Oprah has for years helped Eyewitness News bring in huge ratings at 5PM. Wonder what will happen next.

Actually, WJRT-TV, the ABC O&O in the Flint/Saganaw, Michigan market does not air Oprah. It instead airs on WNEM-TV, the CBS affiliate.

...and KTRK (ABC O&O in Houston) doesn't air Oprah. It's on KHOU.

Guest Former Member 207

FYI, here's the list of ABC stations (O&Os and affiliates) that currently Oprah..

WABC New York City

KABC Los Angeles

WLS Chicago

WPVI Philadelphia

KGO San Francisco

WCVB Boston

WFAA Dallas-Fort Worth

WSB Atlanta

WJLA Washington, D.C.

WXYZ Detroit

WEWS Cleveland

WFTV Orlando