Morgan Freeman Replaces Cronkite as CBS Evening News Voiceover

caliwxdude

Since this story was big enough to cross the Associated Press wire, I thought it was justified that I post something here as well.

CBS News has tapped actor Morgan Freeman to provide the voiceover in the open for the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric, replacing the voice of the late Walter Cronkite that the network continued to use even after his death last summer. The first broadcast with Freeman's voiceover will be today, January 4.

According to the AP story, "Having Freeman on board gives CBS the flexibility to record different intros when Couric has special reports and is on location."

Since this story was big enough to cross the Associated Press wire, I thought it was justified that I post something here as well.

CBS News has tapped actor Morgan Freeman to provide the voiceover in the open for the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric, replacing the voice of the late Walter Cronkite that the network continued to use even after his death last summer. The first broadcast with Freeman's voiceover will be today, January 4.

According to the AP story, "Having Freeman on board gives CBS the flexibility to record different intros when Couric has special reports and is on location."

I'm a fan of morgan freeman as an actor but OMG I just heard the open and it sounded TERRIBLE!

That's just wrong...

Talk about wrong. I'm a longtime fan of Walter Cronkite.

I loved the Cronkite spiel better than Morgan Freeman's.

Couric has an admiration for Cronkite, and so do I. It was more fitting to have Cronkite open for Couric when she premiered in 2006.

Cronkite's voice adds a lot more dignity, rather than the Hollywood-style bulls---t, as if the news presented today wasn't more about that BS.

Archived