Recent (early 2010) changes in local news, Wash DC.

SterlingNorth

Weather forecaster Bob Ryan has left WRC. He is rumored to be joining WJLA once his non-compete expires.

WRC is also swapping the airtimes of The Ellen DeGeneres Show and its daytime light-light-light news[-clip] program Daily Connection. Starting today, Connection will air at 2pm, Ellen at 3pm.

WUSA has also let go a bunch of people, I'm sure. Ones that stick out in my mind are forecasters Tony Pann (left in December, has since returned to Baltimore's WBAL, where he worked in the 90s), and Kim Martucci.

Anyway, WUSA is suffling it's morning news lineup again. It's cancelling outright the recently shortened 9am news while starting news at 4:30am. This is to start March 8th. At 9am they will show Inside Edition (currently airing at 9:30am), and 9:30am The Insider (currently airing at 1:37am). Though unless The Insider started taping earlier (and as an entertainment show taped in Hollywood, that's very unlikely), WUSA will again be airing programming produced for the previous day. The Inside aired a day behind when WUSA aired it at 10:30am! I really don't know why WUSA even bothers with that show -- unless they're contractually obligated to air it along with Entertainment Tonight. Unless they give up on a block of news, they don't have a good place to put the show.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping an old thread:

WUSA recently launched a 4:30am newscast on March 15th becoming the first station in D.C. with 4:30am news. Now, WRC's "News 4 Today" is starting their news at 4:30 tomorrow March 29th. Who knows when WJLA and WTTG will follow suit.

It has been a long wait (years even), but starting with this morning's News 4 Newsbreak, WRC-TV officially became the last station in the DC Metro area to broadcast local news in high definition. They should unveil their new set (maybe) later today.

UPDATE: It seems the station is testing the HD equipment this morning. Expect a full switch to HD any day now.

THIS JUST IN:

4 Tests HD Local News, Launch In 2 Weeks - 4/8 - Updated. NBC-owned Channel 4/ WRC debuted its high-def local news broadcasts this morning. The station is last of DC's four major TV news operations to provide local HD newscasts. NBC4 was back to standard-def on the 11 AM and Thursday evening newscasts. A source tells us: "WRC is just testing the HD during the 'Today' cut-ins, no other show is going HD right now. The launch of regular HD shows is still about two weeks away. 'Meet The Press' will be in HD soon, but construction on the network HD control room is yet to start. Look for that this summer".....

From newscaststudio.com:

Washington D.C.’s NBC affiliate, WRC-TV, will soon launch its news in HD with a new set.

The set, designed by Clickspring Design and fabricated by blackwalnut, features a large RP screen with LED and metal elements.

The overall design matches Clickspring’s previous work on MSNBC and WCAU-TV, other NBC properties.

To see more of the set: http://blackwalnutweb.net/built/wrc/wrc%20nbc%20washington/index.html

UPDATE: The pictures have been removed from their site until the set finally premieres.

490024026_wrc1.jpg.3ef052aeb8c0381e045e2656ebc075b8.jpg

889720471_wrc5.jpg.2eb75818b587789a214eb12c2afeb4d4.jpg

As of 11am this morning, WRC is finally in High Definition. This makes all DC stations in HD. Not only are News 4 newscasts in HD, but Daily Connection is in HD as well.

The new set was designed by Clickspring Design (same company that created the MSNBC set in NY & DC) and fabricated by Black Walnut. It features lots of plexiglas with 36 "light blasters" behind them, that can change colors for anytime of the day, and pictures of many DC areas (Mixing Bowl, Capitol, Metro). It also features a 14' Panasonic 10K HD projector that shows live video from around the metro area. It also has a wild monitor that can move anywhere around the set.

There are also HD weather graphics including Live Doppler in HD. It has been a 6 month process. Hope you like the look. This is a big step forward for News 4. Great job!

100_0792.thumb.jpg.8a8e37a62ae336f2d68a5ae6448244b4.jpg

100_0816.thumb.jpg.dc23875e2e86226fe4179856f96f9ebf.jpg

100_0819.thumb.jpg.cec4fc24b43717a36d46f79e73e19a4c.jpg

100_0822.thumb.jpg.990d15cc3cc0eb8e27bdfab0b7331549.jpg

100_0799.thumb.jpg.2f703cd1136210dccc5d9341904c8790.jpg

100_0806.thumb.jpg.229e3f1bb487c892d0315dd15c28b652.jpg

100_0748.thumb.jpg.5587b91ede8c1812b0547aa9c81c1944.jpg

100_0760.thumb.jpg.29da5281485452f305ee73a391277147.jpg

Allbritton Communications, owners locally of WJLA and cable channel NewsChannel 8, has been working on a "hyperlocal" news website which they hope will take on the Washington Post and Washington Examiner on the local news beats, and which is expected to have a television component that will replace NewsChannel 8. The website for this (which is expected to replace those for NewsChannel 8 and WJLA) is TBD.com. Really. It came from how Erik Wemple -- editor of this new venture. formerly editor of the Washington City Paper -- has been signing his emails.

where on Youtube can i find videos of WRC's new opens in HD? I hear they've got NBC Collection NG 4 with a Working For You signature, and i want to hear how it works out with their new open.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a News4 watcher always will be. Congrats to Kim, I always liked her. Hopefully it will become permanent, WUSA's horrible loss is WRC's gain I still think Chuck Bell should be News4's new chief. Nothing against Veronica. But Chuck really knows his weather. Ryan can go to WJLA, he betrayed me by jumping to that station. All that station is good for is picking up old talent from others stations and networks since they can't do well with the people they have now. Anyway, good luck Bob, knowing he will only be there a few years before he retires for good. Then what?

• 3 weeks later...

Some more news from WRC-TV:

President/GM Michael Jack is leaving to New York become the President/GM for NBC flagship WNBC. He is replacing Tim O'Brien who held that position since 2008. O'Brien has been named executive vice president of NBC Local Media. No word on Jack's replacement.

Also, KYW meteorologist Doug Kammerer will become the new chief meteorologist of the Storm Center 4 weather team replacing Bob Ryan who is now at WJLA. He does have local ties to the metro region. He is a native of Fairfax County, VA. He starts working at the station in August. (IMO I think Veronica or Chuck should have gotten the promotion.)

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/tvblog/2010/06/wrc-loses-president-gains-weat.html

http://www.dcrtv.com

Archived