KCAL/KCBS goes...GARI!

mbhcity

This was already discussed in the bloodbath thread in the Front Page News board..

I like the idea of KCBS going to Enforcer. I'm just not feeling the NG2 (which is actually what is being used) on KCBS. They're using what I call the "Enforcer Wild Wild West" cuts. It's not really LA news sounding/fitting. NG1 or their old Hegner News in Focus package would be a better fit for LA. Where did you get NG4 used on KCBS from?!?

I'm not liking Image News on KCAL. To me, Image News is just not a top 5 market package.. It's got that late '90s Gari-synth that I don't like either. I understand dumping KCAL's 615 Newstime package because it's just too expensive to pay 2 different composers/music production companies. However, WBBM currently uses both their In The Groove Heart Of Our City package along with Gari's Enforcer so who knows..

I probably would have just used Enforcer on KCAL too but a different version. Maybe NG 2 on KCBS and NG 1 on KCAL?

KCBS really needs to dump those shitty chunky graphics and somehow brighten and modernize that set. It just looks so dark and drab in there..

they really mest up on the L3's and LIVE bug by adding a hint of blue onto their graphics. It was fine when it was Grey and not Blue. this change is all bad!

they really mest up on the L3's and LIVE bug by adding a hint of blue onto their graphics. It was fine when it was Grey and not Blue. this change is all bad!

They were probably trying to match the mic flags colors, but the changes made the graphics look worse. They really need a new graphics package, not the terrible tweak they did.

What I'd still love to find out is who composed/produced the KCBS 1991-94 theme package.. (NMSA calls it the 1991 WTEN Package)

A buddy of mine is really interested in that package for his station eventhough it's old. If we could just track down the composer, he may just have it re-recorded in modern/current instrumentation. That 1993 6PM close cut with people flying kites at the beach is really amazing..

What I'd still love to find out is who composed/produced the KCBS 1991-94 theme package.. (NMSA calls it the 1991 WTEN Package)

Seriously - best package ever used on KCBS. That close cut is amazing, and so is the whole package. I especially like the open they used with that great Chuck Riley voiceover - "ACTION NEWS for ALL of SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA".

Seriously - best package ever used on KCBS. That close cut is amazing, and so is the whole package. I especially like the open they used with that great Chuck Riley voiceover - "ACTION NEWS for ALL of SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA".

Yeah I remember that, great theme, but I thought the theme that followed it was way better. Michael Randall's theme from when Applegate took over.

I like the new music packages that KCBS and KCAL are now using. But in case that Image News couldn't be used on KCAL, I would have gone for 'Hometown News', 'News Source' (as heard on KLAS or WFOR) or 'The One and Only' (as heard on WPLG during their Channel 10 News-era).

One and Only would be fine if they used the updated cuts. Not the original. KUSI over uses it in the Morning with the 50 million cuts and teasers bumps. it gets overwhelming. But the evening edition for the 6 and 11pm. they use the updated cut and its very dramatic. too bad its not on the gari website =/

The cuts used on KUSI in the evenings were part of a custom update done just for KUSI so that is probably why they aren't on the Gari website.

Almost every update ever made of a theme package is a "custom update made just for a station".. Typically, after a "custom update" made for a station, it's added to the package..

The reason why Gari doesn't put everything on the website or update the website very often is because Gari and their work is very well known in the business. They don't have the need to put packages online for stations to demo. When a station is interested in a package from Gari, they usually just send the station the whole package itself to demo whether they choose to use it or not.

The main purpose Gari's website serves is appeasing news music junkies and the people around here. Gari's customers normally don't rely on just sampling the website to choose a package.

True... this was a small update - only 18 cuts in total and in a different direction than Gari had gone with the package at the time. That is why I called it a custom... it was simply a few cuts that we asked for.

Archived