"PIX 11 News"

NYNews

That's new ID WPIX is pushing on their newscasts. Instead of saying PIX News at Ten or PIX Morning News, reporters end their reports saying PIX 11 News. What do you guys think of it? It doesn't sound as nice as saying CBS 2 News or FOX 5 News. I guess you have to guess use to it.

We've had this discussion many times before over the past few years on why stations decide to switch their branding for the newscasts, but leave the old branding intact for station advertisments. Especially on WABC, when they used to brand their newscasts as ABC 7 Eyewitness News, before switching to Channel 7 Eyewitness News in 2004.

The whole idea behind the name change is familiarity. If they say PIX NEWS the general public will not be able to quickly discern what exactly PIX NEWS is unless they are watching it, for instance, you may not be watching the program, and you hear the story on the radio or maybe in another room away from the TV. The majority will not be familiar with the name, and probably may not know what PIX news really is, so thats why they probably dropped that branding and simply went with PIX 11 NEWS because now that there is an 11 in there, most people will know that the news is from Channel 11 and etc.. And that is the same conclusion drawn for the usage of CHANNEL 7 instead of ABC 7. Many people call it Channel 7 rather than ABC 7, it sounds more down to earth and normal. I prefer ABC 7, but I understand the reason why they do this.

News 4 New York is also another prime example of this naming scheme. News 4 New York implies the news is strictly for the New York Area. I wouldn't be suprised if CBS 2 and FOX 5 also come up with a unique name for their news soon, though they may keep it like that too because the basic branding names are familiar enough.

This is the branding they should've went with when they decided to re-brand the station away from the CW11. Heck, Howard Thompson still says "Channel 11 News" even though that branding went away 15 years ago. The channel number should never be de-emphasized.

Archived