Dear KYW, am I watching the news or Hard Copy?

budtkaboy2000

There was virtually news on the 11:00 tonight. They led with a story ("EXCLUSIVE!") about a sex offender in Southwest Philadelphia, they had a canned Jim Donovan piece, and a story about a man with growths on his face. The Beau Biden and oil rig stories were glossed over and there was no mention of the Obama/Karzai meeting, the Lower Merion webcam story, the Libyan plane crash, the Specter/Sestak race, and who knows what else. They had a Jim Osman piece the other day, complete with flashy graphics and sound effects, with Osman chasing a kid driving without a license.

What's going on here? Many newscasts throw pieces like this in all the time, but this has become increasingly common on KYW's 11:00 news recently.

Consultants are telling stations to do more magazine style shows for their late news. The thought is, with the internet and cable news, people know the headlines of the day, so you need to offer people something else at 10 or 11 or else they have no reason to tune in. I'm not saying I agree with it, but that is most likely what is happening and why.

As for the national stories, I actually agree with that. It is a local newscast. It should be local news and unless it is a breaking national story, national news should be used sparingly as filler. When I was a producer I tried to have all local shows as much as possible. If it is an early newscast the national news is either going to be on in 30 minutes or just ended. If you missed it you can go online or flip to CNN.

CBS3 made it 12 minutes until they decided to fill the rest of the newscast with national stuff. This included the "ripped-from-the-tabloids" story of the Dutchess of York or whatever that had just aired minutes before on the CBS Evening News.

They're showing Twiggy the Water-skiing Squirrel right now.

I wish I was joking.

They're showing Twiggy the Water-skiing Squirrel right now.

I wish I was joking.

That's been on Newspath for a couple days now. We've made Anchorman jokes in the newsroom about it but I'm proud to say have never actually considered putting it in the show!

Archived