No Comment.

ABC7 Los Angeles

Mic flags are actually removed from mics quite often. Stations remove mic flags for many reasons. Some common reasons I've seen are doing a report/story from inside a church or at formal event. A mic flag is kind of like the mic wearing a hat/cap and it's usually removed in those situations in the Chicago market. Also, if the reporter does reports for other affiliates, etc. the flag is removed. What happens alot of times is when the reporter is about to go live on the air, he/she grabs the mic and realizes the flag isn't on so he/she quickly puts it on but sometimes not paying attention to how it's put on. It's no biggie and it happens a little more often than people think. I've seen a reporter in Chicago put on the wrong mic flag with the station's old logo a few years back. It probably just happened that this KABC reporter had to go live before she got a chance to fix it.

Sometimes KABC uses the same mic flag pictured with the non glossy ABC7 logo which is no longer in use. It's not a biggie but it just doesn't fit in with the current look. I heard someone went live once with the pre HD flag and boy did they hear about it from the ND.

I know I remember WPVI using their 1995-era mic flag - with just the 6 logo - as late as 2000, 2001. This was some time after all the mic flags were modified with the then-new 6ABC version.

Honestly, though, what I noticed wasn't the mic flag, but something above there. They still wear pins there?

What's wrong with wearing pins?

KUSA's anchors used to wear "9" pins, but they've stopped. KMGH's anchors wear Circle 7 pins, in an attempt to copy them.

That, and KABC's pins are of the Circle 7 logo without the network logo on it. Why did they even put it on, if the Circle 7 is supposed to be interchangeable with it? Oh wait, Disney probably told them to.

Also, I find it amusing that putting on a mic flag with the old logo will earn you an earful from the news director. Average Joe Viewer probably won't notice that!

What's wrong with wearing pins?

KUSA's anchors used to wear "9" pins, but they've stopped. KMGH's anchors wear Circle 7 pins, in an attempt to copy them.

That, and KABC's pins are of the Circle 7 logo without the network logo on it. Why did they even put it on, if the Circle 7 is supposed to be interchangeable with it? Oh wait, Disney probably told them to.

Either way, I have both!

For what it's worth, this was posted on the Facebook group "Overheard in the Live Truck" on a post about pranks:

Only prank I could ever get away with was flipping the mic flag. Always great seeing the reporter go on air with their logo upside down.

Maybe it was no accident!

Have they ever worn the ABC7 pin on the air?

When was the ABC logo put on the Circle 7? I think it was in 1997, right after Disney took over and probably told all the O&Os to put the network brand first.

When was the ABC logo put on the Circle 7? I think it was in 1997, right after Disney took over and probably told all the O&Os to put the network brand first.

January 1997. WLS was the first station to actually incorporate the "ABC 7" logo in their newscasts and newscast title changing their name from "Eyewitness News" to "ABC 7 News".

As for the ABC 7 pin, WLS's version of the ABC 7 logo used to be available at WLS's old online store (open to the public) which had ABC 7 shirts, mugs, hats, etc. WLS also gave those ABC 7 pins at various events so WLS's pin wasn't exclusive to employees only. I myself never got one and I only saw one on ebay once but haven't seen any ever since.

I wish they would do Circle 7 fanboys like me a favor and just give out plain Circle 7 pins to anyone who asked. Wishful thinking, but still.

KUSA used to give 9 pins to people who went on tour at their studios.

Archived