Major Power Failure at WCMH-TV

10Viewer

A major power failure has apparently hit WCMH-TV in Columbus, just minutes before the 11pm broadcast.

I caught the end of "Dateline" and then, instead of the opening titles, the MSNBC feed was displayed for a full two minutes - the usual prison fare. Then the MSNBC feed cut to Cabot Rea and Jym Ganahl on the weather set. Cabot explained that a major power failure hit the station. Jym Ganahl then did the weather for the next 8 minutes. Then cut to a commercial break.

Back from break, the station returned to doing all weather. So, it looks like they will just kill time with an all-weather broadcast.

Any other Media General stations experiencing issues? WCMH serves as master control.

Nothing wrong with WJAR with tonights 11 PM news (well besides the usual failures)...ill see what happens when they switch to network for Leno.

I think that Master must have an emergency generator. A power failure at one station shouldn't take out an entire network. Well I guess it's Media General, so you never know...

Graphics problems, camera problems, bad typos, audio problems (i.e. multiple tracks of music playing over each other, anchor mic takes 5-10 seconds to be unmuted, no music, late music), video won't play, etc.

You can find most of this in a typical newscast.

Also, when they cut to network it makes a loud clicking noise. They also have no HD overlay abilities, so when they decide to put a tease ticker for their 11 PM newscast up during the NBC programming (which they do during most shows), it cuts it to 80s quality SD.

Right around 11:18, WCMH was able to do a normal broadcast, with Cabot Rea zipping through the stories. Sports was about 15 seconds long.

A weird broadcast for sure. And there aren't any thunderstorms in the local area, although there is a line about 90 miles north. Probably the normal summer power flash disrupting the servers and such.

Graphics problems, camera problems, bad typos, audio problems (i.e. multiple tracks of music playing over each other, anchor mic takes 5-10 seconds to be unmuted, no music, late music), video won't play, etc.

You can find most of this in a typical newscast.

Also, when they cut to network it makes a loud clicking noise. They also have no HD overlay abilities, so when they decide to put a tease ticker for their 11 PM newscast up during the NBC programming (which they do during most shows), it cuts it to 80s quality SD.

At this point, I think "I wonder what NBC did with that money, anyway" should be repeated when anything to do with the ex-O&Os comes up.

Also, you know that video where you said you'd trade WJAR for KUSA? Sounds good about now. I must warn you, they seem to cut to NBC Nightly News about a second late.

It would be perversely hilarious if a Media General station managed to take down all of the Eastern Time Zone stations in the network.

What are "the usual failures"?

WCMH only serves as Master Control for the other NBC stations owned by Media General.

Somewhat ironically, WCMH's Master Control used to be at the NBC Master Control Hub in NYC.

Guest NewsHound
Any other Media General stations experiencing issues? WCMH serves as master control.

The ABC affiliate here (a Media General station) wasn't experiencing any problems. It's probably just the Media General NBC stations.

The ABC affiliate here (a Media General station) wasn't experiencing any problems. It's probably just the Media General NBC stations.

WJBF is run out of WSPA's building in Spartanburg, SC. This is where they run their CBS affiliates, and their CW station, which is co-located with WSPA.

Archived