More shaking up at FOX Chicago

lazynetjunkie

I just don't know what to say anymore. I'm sure that Comcast SportsNet will find room to add Jill to their team. If anyone at WMAQ had any sense, they would pick her up and drop both Faris and Hawks. I figured that since they didn't find a co-anchor to work with Nancy that she too would be gone. Really a shame on both accounts.

We could be looking at a whole new weekend group (Sowers is the only one left and his days could be numbered as well at this point) at good ole WFLD and pretty much a new sports team/staff.

I just don't know what to say anymore. I'm sure that Comcast SportsNet will find room to add Jill to their team. If anyone at WMAQ had any sense, they would pick her up and drop both Faris and Hawks. I figured that since they didn't find a co-anchor to work with Nancy that she too would be gone. Really a shame on both accounts.

We could be looking at a whole new weekend group (Sowers is the only one left and his days could be numbered as well at this point) at good ole WFLD and pretty much a new sports team/staff.

I knew Feder, along with other Chicago media bloggers/columnists, were being fed with BS..

Hawks isn't going anywhere on WMAQ. He's their token on the 10PM newscast. Eventhough he's not used every night, he's technically their "official" lead 10PM sports anchor.

I had a good feeling that 1 meteorologist (either Sowers or Strehl) was going to get the boot but not until next year when someone else's contract is up.. However, I'm not sure if they're going to even wait that long.

I really wonder who we're going to get on the weekends..

I would assume they will have a new weekend team in place by months in. They're killing Larry by having him work on weekends and the Blago trial during the week, so that can't last for too long. Tera will be gone soon as well which will push their team of reporters even lower. They better start hiring some people fast.

Sowers coould move to Noon weekdays until his contract runs out with Strehl working just GDC. They could also move Strehl to Noon with Sowers working GDC. Who knows????

Update-

Carlson apparently wanted the job outright and didn't want to do some type of "trial run" bs WFLD management was offerring up. Can't say I blame her. More below...

Chicago Tribune-

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/towerticker/2010/08/wfld-sportscaster-jill-carlson-headed-out-not-up.html

Update-

Carlson apparently wanted the job outright and didn't want to do some type of "trial run" bs WFLD management was offerring up. Can't say I blame her. More below...

Chicago Tribune-

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/towerticker/2010/08/wfld-sportscaster-jill-carlson-headed-out-not-up.html

I can only wish her luck.. In this day, you can't just want something outright. Unless you're some sort of superstar in high demand in the market, most people that outright want something, don't get anywhere in this business or remain unemployed for long periods of time and eventually will end up settling for less than what he/she would have originally gotten.

WFLD management is looking for someone that can "chit-chat" well with Bob Sirott about sports so sports actually has a flow with the 9PM newscast rather than just feel like a segment stuck in there. I can see Lou Canellis doing that.. I can see Howard Sudberry doing that.. I just don't see it flowing as well with Jill Carlson. Management is not working the 9PM newscast as a traditional newscast. They're working the 9PM show as if it was Bob's show instead of a straight forward newscast so everything else has to work with/around Bob.

However, 2 big things Jill has on her side is that she's a female and she's good looking. That counts for alot in the TV business. WBBM, WMAQ, and WLS are all full in the sports departments. Maybe WGN has some room for her. They can use a female in the sports department. Maybe Comcast SportsNet will give her more duties. Who knows..

Maybe Darlene Hill will get weekends on WFLD..

I have to say. I really like the new format at 9pm with Bob. He was solo last night and the news flowed perfectly with him. (Robin must have been off) I noticed they were using regular music instead of the FOX cuts, unless thats an update. I like what I see so far. Bob loves to chit chat. And I agree with having people fit in for him to do that. I have to say if this keeps up they will gain some more in the ratings and leave WGN in the dust. I've never been a big Fox fan. But I've always like Bob. Hes a good addition to them.

I have to say. I really like the new format at 9pm with Bob. He was solo last night and the news flowed perfectly with him. (Robin must have been off) I noticed they were using regular music instead of the FOX cuts' date=' unless thats an update. I like what I see so far. Bob loves to chit chat. And I agree with having people fit in for him to do that. I have to say if this keeps up they will gain some more in the ratings and leave WGN in the dust. I've never been a big Fox fan. But I've always like Bob. Hes a good addition to them.[/quote']

They pretty much stopped using the OSI music package on the 9PM newscast a couple months ago. The only OSI FOX O&O cut they've used on the 9PM news was the closing theme with the rest of the newscast being music-less until Jeff Goldblatt got the boot. I guess they wanted to try no music for a while. When Bob came in, they started using library cuts of music and dumping the OSI package altogether on the 9PM news. However, the OSI package is still used for the morning and noon shows. I really do like how they now are playing regular music on the 9PM news for bumps, rejoins, and the close. Half the time the use the regular song with the singing in it, and half the time they use the instrumental only versions. Brings back the little reminder that Bob Sirott used to spin records. They did the same thing back when he was on "FOX Thing In The Morning".

The more WFLD differentiates itself from other Fox O&Os and local stations, the better off they will be. I like the changes I have seen so far on GDC (going back to what works for them) and the 9PM newscast (having an open/free-willing newscast without reducing overall news coverage/emphasis).

Back to Carlson...it's insulting to anyone who has paid their dues to be treated as if they're fresh out of college. Either you give them the job or you don't. You can't blame her for not wanting to play their games given how they have treated her former colleagues. Who's to say they would have renewed her contract regardless of how she interacted with Bob and Robin?

Back to Carlson...it's insulting to anyone who has paid their dues to be treated as if they're fresh out of college. Either you give them the job or you don't. You can't blame her for not wanting to play their games given how they have treated her former colleagues. Who's to say they would have renewed her contract regardless of how she interacted with Bob and Robin?

It's an insult.. But it's the way things are done now in both TV and ALOT of other businesses out there. Just because you've been at a place so many years doesn't mean shit. This is something you see more too with off-air station staffers. There's alot of this type of bs in this business now but most people take it or just do it so they have a job. Who says they'd renew her contract? However, she'd still be working. It's something most people don't realize they should have just put up with until they're sitting at home out of work. If she's got money, she can do leave, great. I don't wanna hear any boo hoo stories of on-air talent not getting fair treatment at stations because I personally know ALOT and I mean ALOT of off-air staffers at a couple Chicago TV stations that have gotten treated ALOT worse at their stations and had their jobs ripped right out of under them with no notice. Many that have been at their jobs for many years and are now being treated like fresh out of college. It's insulting. However, to people actually working (most times, I don't count on-air people because many are in a fantasy fairy world of their own), when something is offered, you take it; or if you got it, you keep it. It's not a business of moving up anymore because you've been there for X number of years. When something opens up, it's a trial period just like if you're applying for a new job. With the money crunching so many businesses are doing now, this is more and more of the type of business model places are doing, especially for contractual jobs.

I know how their current management works. I used to work with one of them on 2 separate occasions and I know you better kiss ass alot or you're out the door. Even if it seems like you're her best friend. I didn't work under her but I was hired to work with her and other management at the station on specific tasks. The specific job I've done with TV stations I do on 3 to 6 month contracts. I bounce around from station to station (both TV and radio) so I see what goes on.. I'll admit, I've had big part in many people getting the boot. It's my job to advise/consult. I'm like one of the Bobs in the movie Office Space. I know the system and if you're somewhere, unless there's someone pulling you in somewhere else, you better keep what you got. People that try to make some sort of "point" usually get nowhere and remain out of work.

It's sad that there's barely any talk of Nancy getting the boot. She was one of FOX 32's best. There basically making WBBM look better then them.

As much as I respect Lazynetjunkie's opinion, I feel that Jill did get screwed over by FOX but she'll do much better. WNYW in NY & KTTV in LA would be wise to hire her!

Back to Nancy for a second, Nancy would be great as the official weekend anchor at WMAQ, this split weekend anchors is silly. Though Dick & Lisa are very good.

It's sad that there's barely any talk of Nancy getting the boot. She was one of FOX 32's best. There basically making WBBM look better then them.

As much as I respect Lazynetjunkie's opinion, I feel that Jill did get screwed over by FOX but she'll do much better. WNYW in NY & KTTV in LA would be wise to hire her!

Back to Nancy for a second, Nancy would be great as the official weekend anchor at WMAQ, this split weekend anchors is silly. Though Dick & Lisa are very good.

There's no talk about Nancy because she got a job right after she was let go from WFLD. It was mentioned in local Chicago media blogs/columns. She's now at WGN. She's a reporter and fill-in anchor over there. She also does reporting for CLTV.

For an "insider", you seem to have more concern over highly paid on-air talent than your own colleges in the newsroom or elsewhere behind the scenes that are paid hourly and are truly getting screwed over.. Jill was given an opportunity. Most of the other talent in the station that was let go knew what was coming and they prepared themselves. They know how the business is now. Most anyone else that aren't "on-air" have their jobs pulled out from under their feet with no notice. It's more than just "my opinion".. That's how most true insiders see it.

Actually I don't work for a station but I have very good friends at all the Chicago stations. Plus I was not talking about Nancy Loo (as much as I do like her), I was talking about Nancy Pender; she was the Nancy mentioned in the first post. I always try to check my facts.

PS: Lazynetjunkie stop critiquing how people post.;) It's actually very insulting and by the way without staff a newscast can't be put together. People are what the newscast are made of.

Archived