Chris Sowers Out at WFLD

lazynetjunkie

It was in yesterday's Rosenthal blog. Chris Sowers' contract will not be renewed this October. He will remain on-air until his contract runs out. This was something that many figured was going to happen.. I'm kind of curious to who the station picks up. I know Fowler has had her eye on a couple meteorologists eversince she came to WFLD but I don't know if she'd be able to get either of them..

As figured, Dane Placko's and Sondra Solarte's contracts have both been renewed with the station.

Sets the stage for Ed Curran to go to FOX???

I think that was Fowler's plan; however, Curran is not free from his WBBM contract until May or June of 2011. Are they just going to have Mark Strehl and Amy Freeze work 6 day weeks until then? I doubt it. But what I've seen going on lately, it wouldn't surprise me either if they did..

Would CBS corporate be willing to let Curran go from his contract? I don't think it's under WBBM's control anymore because of the deal of sitting out the rest of his contract to have him "written off WBBM's books". However, they may just to get him off the payroll if Ed Curran is willing to agree to it.

I'm guessing they will have a new weekend team in place by October (if not sooner). It's not likely Renda won't have whomever he wants to hire by then.

If Curran wanted to go to WFLD and if they wanted him, you would assume they would have worked something out with CBS already. Either way, it's up to Curran to decide what's next.

WFLD could go with a two person weather team for awhile . WMAQ did with Brant and Tammie before they hired Pete and Andy I believe. It was so long ago, it's tough to remember how long that lasted.

WFLD could go with a two person weather team for awhile . WMAQ did with Brant and Tammie before they hired Pete and Andy I believe. It was so long ago, it's tough to remember how long that lasted.

That wasn't very long. I know it wasn't anymore than a month or month and a half at the very most. Ed Curran went to WBBM in October 2002. Then they brought in Pete sack from WDJT per diem for weekends in November 2002. Pete was still working as full time weekday morning meteorologist at WDJT and driving to Chicago on weekends to fill-in until another Meteorologist was hired. They didn't even plan on keeping Pete Sack but he just worked out so well that they hired him on permanently.

It kind of reminds me when Mark Strehl first came to WFLD. He was still Chief Meteorologist at WIFR CBS 23 in Rockford while working WFLD FOX Chicago on weekends for a few weeks.

• 4 weeks later...
I'd prefer that they replace him with another hot guy. Seriously, he was pretty likable. Sucks that he was given the boot.

To each his own in that department. Although FOX does have 2 guys now and only 1 bunny :( Although Amy Freeze does happen to be one of the hottest bunnies in Chicago. I'd still take her over Megan Glaros but Ginger Zee is still Chicago's hottest weather bunny. I'm still upset that FOX replaced Tammie Souza with a fat geek too :(

• 8 months later...

Know I'm bumping an ollllld topic, but Chris Sowers has resurfaced - at WPVI. He's the new weekend morning meteorologist as Adam Joseph moves up to weekdays and Melissa Magee replaces him on weekends. Since he used to work as a producer there, it's not really surprising he was chosen.

Archived