WFLD Weather Changes

cbs2worksforyou

Chicago Tribune columnist Phil Rosenthal is reporting that Bill Bellis of KNXV-TV in Arizona is in talks to join WFLD later this year. He would replace outgoing meteorologist Chris Sowers whose contract is not being renewed.

Does this rule out Ed Curran? It was rumored on here that he would turn up on WFLD like his fellow ex-WBBMers.

Chicago Tribune columnist Phil Rosenthal is reporting that Bill Bellis of KNXV-TV in Arizona is in talks to join WFLD later this year. He would replace outgoing meteorologist Chris Sowers whose contract is not being renewed.

Does this rule out Ed Curran? It was rumored on here that he would turn up on WFLD like his fellow ex-WBBMers.

Bill Bellis being a ratings mover is highly doubtful.. However, if they can snag him at the right price (the "new" pay scale of market #3, as it should be called) and the right contract length, then it's plan.

As for Ed Curran popping onto WFLD, I would forget that at this point. Nothing is for certain (both with on-air and off-air people).. Not until at least December or January. I'm sure whoever runs the joint next will have their own plans and ideas..

I can't see why he (or anyone else) would even consider coming to WFLD. The place is an utter wasteland. It seems like he has a pretty good job in AZ. Nevertheless, I saw a couple of video clips of his weather reports and he seems a little stiff.

• 4 weeks later...

From today's Tribune-

"Fox-owned WFLD-Ch. 32 has signed weathercaster Bill Bellis of Phoenix's KNXV-TV, the station confirmed Wednesday. Bellis' hire had been anticipated for nearly a month, but it's not yet clear which newscasts he will work.

Channel 32 earlier opted not to renew the contract of Chris Sowers, who has been doing weather there for almost two years. But the contract of Amy Freeze, now the station's lead weathercaster, is set to expire in February and has not been renewed yet."

This is interesting news...Chris Sowers' contract ended last month, but he was still there working as of this past weekend. Could they do to Amy Freeze what they did to Rick Dimaio?

I think Sowers has agreed to stay per-diem/freelance until replacement comes because he's been on quite a bit since his contract was up..

I got a feeling Amy Freeze may get the Rick DiMaio.. The fact that "it's not yet clear which newscasts he will work" is mentioned is usually a big hint that he'll be getting a prominent weekday weather position.

According to this: http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/1172-wfld-tv-hires-new-meteorologist-bill-bellis , Bellis will oddly be on Saturdays @ 9PM and Wednesday-Friday @ Noon. At least for now. I found the last paragraph most interesting, how Chief Meteorologist Amy Freeze's contract is up in February and hasn't been renewed yet.

IMO, losing Amy Freeze would be a HUGE mistake. I know their ratings couldn't be worse as it is, but that no doubt has to do with how Fowler & Renda have completely decimated the station of so much strong & familiar talent. This would just add to that ridiculous list. I really can't believe what they've done to Fox 32. But now wouldn't be surprised if they keep it up with this.

Archived