KTRK question

bmasters1

Is KTRK Houston's "Eyewitness News" still "#1 in Texas," as this opening claimed? I read from its Wikipedia article that it is "Houston's most watched station from sign-on to sign-off," but I was just wondering if it's still #1 in the Lone Star State in general.

Is KTRK Houston's "Eyewitness News" still "#1 in Texas," as this opening claimed? I read from its Wikipedia article that it is "Houston's most watched station from sign-on to sign-off," but I was just wondering if it's still #1 in the Lone Star State in general.

Hard to say - its possible that a station in Dallas would be the "#1 station in Texas" since they are a bigger DMA with a bigger share. Depends on how the station classifies itself as "#1" - total viewers? viewers of local programming?

WABC here in NY can say they are the "Most watched station in the nation" simply because they have the highest ratings in the #1 DMA, so by default, they would be most watched amongst total available viewers. But, again - that doesn't mean that a television station in a smaller DMA doesn't have a higher percentage of total viewers watching... and obviously that's just speaking in terms of broadcast stations... cable stations have much higher daily viewership.

I think viewership numbers are a very muddy area these days... a lot of stations can lay claim to something, and it'd be hard to prove them wrong without question.

Hard to say - its possible that a station in Dallas would be the "#1 station in Texas" since they are a bigger DMA with a bigger share. Depends on how the station classifies itself as "#1" - total viewers? viewers of local programming?

That's a great point. If KTRK was going to say "#1 in Texas," what exactly were they #1 in? Of all the openings I've seen from that station, that was never specified.

Archived