WXIA 11Alive loses Atlanta Falcons broadcast rights...

Guest NewsHound

Guest NewsHound

...to CBS ATLANTA?!

I found this interesting.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/2011/03/falcons-name-new-broadcast-partners/

For well over 10 years, WXIA "11Alive" has picked up preseason/postseason coverage and special rights to host Atlanta Falcons-related shows. These telecasts were also offered to affiliates across the Southeast. As such, 11Alive has been known as the OFFICIAL station of the Atlanta Falcons.

Officially as of today, WXIA will no longer be in charge of that, or at least that's what the Atlanta Falcons are saying.

Instead, forever last place WGCL CBS 46 or "CBS Atlanta" is now the official broadcaster of the Atlanta Falcons, and I like this tidbit they threw in... they are the "sole provider". Also included in that is a change in radio partners, with the Atlanta Falcons Radio Network going to Lincoln Financial Media's "790 The Zone".

Unfortunately, this raises a huge question in my mind right now. How can a television station that let go of it's sports department 2 years ago for budget cuts carry a major sporting event with no sports department?!

Honestly, they should just give televised rights to Lincoln Financial Media and 790 The Zone, why include CBS Atlanta in all of this? Unless they are just the local station carrying their coverage and have seriously nothing to do with it...

...to CBS ATLANTA?!

I found this interesting.

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/2011/03/falcons-name-new-broadcast-partners/

For well over 10 years, WXIA "11Alive" has picked up preseason/postseason coverage and special rights to host Atlanta Falcons-related shows. These telecasts were also offered to affiliates across the Southeast. As such, 11Alive has been known as the OFFICIAL station of the Atlanta Falcons.

Officially as of today, WXIA will no longer be in charge of that, or at least that's what the Atlanta Falcons are saying.

Instead, forever last place WGCL CBS 46 or "CBS Atlanta" is now the official broadcaster of the Atlanta Falcons, and I like this tidbit they threw in... they are the "sole provider". Also included in that is a change in radio partners, with the Atlanta Falcons Radio Network going to Lincoln Financial Media's "790 The Zone".

Unfortunately, this raises a huge question in my mind right now. How can a television station that let go of it's sports department 2 years ago for budget cuts carry a major sporting event with no sports department?!

Honestly, they should just give televised rights to Lincoln Financial Media and 790 The Zone, why include CBS Atlanta in all of this? Unless they are just the local station carrying their coverage and have seriously nothing to do with it...

CBS Atlanta is really trying to build up their credibility it seems. They are also taking over operations for Peachtree TV aka WPCH.

http://www.ajc.com/business/parent-of-cbs-atlanta-807725.html

I'm still wondering why Fox 5 (WAGA) didn't go for the rights.

That said, I think CBS Atlanta will handle this like sister station KCTV did with their Chiefs coverage before they brought back their sports department.

It's interesting to see WGCL/"CBS Atlanta" and Lincoln Financial Media instead of continuing its relationship with CBS Radio Atlanta. CBS Radio Atlanta had radio carriage of the Falcons for years and usually attempts to work with Meredith since its largest market with a non-O&O station for its flagship TV network.

They will likely hire outside people like Cox Sports Television did for all Saints pre-season games. They hired Tim Brando and "Jaws" (Ron Jaworski) as their broadcast team.

Archived