TV news roundup: Providence, Topeka, Panama City

Samantha

What's WLNE up to? As the station's auction next week nears, the station has pulled its 7pm newscast for a bra infomercial, and now the ABC network is threatening to say sayonara to WLNE (but where would they go? WLWC?)

The American Cable Association does not like what it sees in the proposed sale of KTKA Topeka, one that would almost certainly create a duopoly with KSNT (New Vision TV) and the Fox affiliate. I agree with the ACA and wish Nexstar would be forced to sell off Mission Broadcasting.

News directors don't normally last three months. But that's how long Mark Wildman helmed WJHG (Panama City, Florida).

What's WLNE up to? As the station's auction next week nears, the station has pulled its 7pm newscast for a bra infomercial, and now the ABC network is threatening to say sayonara to WLNE (but where would they go? WLWC?)

The Providence market is so small and there is significant overlap with WCVB. My guess is if ABC dumps WLNE, they will end up on a subchannel of WJAR and WLNE ends up with Univision.

Guest NewsHound
The Providence market is so small and there is significant overlap with WCVB. My guess is if ABC dumps WLNE, they will end up on a subchannel of WJAR and WLNE ends up with Univision.

OR cable and satellite will just pick up WCVB and make them the defacto ABC affiliate for the Providence market as well since there seems to be an overlap anyways. More or less, WLNE is screwed.

Providence/New Bedford is still a heritage market; even with the advent of digital/cable/satellite, there's still heavy antenna usage, and networks don't want to lose city-grade signal after having a presence for 60+ years. That said, ABC will have a primary channel, city-grade affiliate in PVD after March 31 -- so no to a subchannel of 10/12/64 or WCVB.

My guess is that this is just sabre-rattling on ABC's part. Otherwise, their only option is WLWC; I could see Nexstar being interested in this as it would give them an ABC affiliate in a top-100 DMA and maybe a little more leverage in negotiating affiliate deals with ABC for the whole group.

I don't see ABC leaving WLNE, though.

Providence/New Bedford is still a heritage market; even with the advent of digital/cable/satellite' date=' there's still heavy antenna usage, .[/quote']

Not sure where you're getting your info; Providence has one of the highest cable penetration rates in the country!

• 1 month later...

There's another hurdle with WLNE's sale to Citadel Communications (operating under a local marketing agreement as of Sunday May 1st until the FCC approves the sale) as ex-owner Global Broadcasting is appealing the sale to the Rhode Island Supreme Court.

http://blogs.wpri.com/2011/05/03/ex-owner-obrien-appeals-abc-6-sale-to-r-i-supreme-court/

If Citadel insists on using a logo similar to their other ABC-affiliated stations on WLNE, they should place a call to WPVI-TV in Philadelphia and ask the management about using their "6ABC" logo. They should also bring back the title "Action News" as well.

Just my two cents.

Archived