Tribune to debut crappy new AM newscast, starts with KIAH

first on fox

“The Houston television market is crowded with traditional network morning shows and doesn’t have anything like Eye-Opener," said Roger Bare, KIAH-TV’s vice president and general manager. “It is designed to be irreverent, provocative and unpredictable—we want viewers tuning in to get a quick dose of the news they need, and to come back because they saw something new that they didn’t expect.”

Fans of former KIAH 39 News anchor Mia Gradney will be happy to know she is going to be on Eye Opener which runs 6-8am. Gradney, a native Houstonian, will anchor segments every half-hour with the basics on local news, weather and traffic.

“I’m excited to be a big part of Eye Opener and I think viewers will find it informative and entertaining and filled with news they can use throughout their day,” Gradney said.

The rest of the show will feature topics ranging from health and wellness to parenting issues to the latest tech gadgets.

More: http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2011/05/kiah-39-to-start-morning-news-with-eye.html

I didn't have time to read the attached article, but it basically sounds like a hybrid of the network morning shows (news every 30 min and "fluff" in between) mixed with the irreverent behavior/humor of the WGN Morning News.

I've heard worse ideas, I guess.

Archived