Shake Up in Chicago Daytime TV

lazynetjunkie

I just noticed some promos on WCIU (along with promos on their website wciu.com) saying that starting Thursday, Dr. Phil is coming to WCIU weekdays at 9AM (Oprah's old timeslot on WLS) taking the place of Judge Karen's Court. I haven't heard anything from anyone about this move and all the TV schedule listings online for both WBBM and WCIU are showing their current (unchanged) lineup for future dates.

I haven't been able to contact anyone about this so maybe someone else here knows something. Dr. Phil has been to Chicago a couple times recently for WBBM Newsmakers and an appearance on CBS 2 News to talk about some issues. He's always had some sort of connection to CBS 2 News which I guess will end with the move.

So does this mean an additional hour of Judge Judy at CBS 2? What would take it's spot on CBS 2? Any thoughts?

I just noticed some promos on WCIU (along with promos on their website wciu.com) saying that starting Thursday, Dr. Phil is coming to WCIU weekdays at 9AM (Oprah's old timeslot on WLS) taking the place of Judge Karen's Court. I haven't heard anything from anyone about this move and all the TV schedule listings online for both WBBM and WCIU are showing their current (unchanged) lineup for future dates.

I haven't been able to contact anyone about this so maybe someone else here knows something. Dr. Phil has been to Chicago a couple times recently for WBBM Newsmakers and an appearance on CBS 2 News to talk about some issues. He's always had some sort of connection to CBS 2 News which I guess will end with the move.

So does this mean an additional hour of Judge Judy at CBS 2? What would take it's spot on CBS 2? Any thoughts?

Perhaps WCIU is picking up the second run, while WBBM maintains the primary?

WCIU 26.2 "The U Too" has been airing repeats of the Doc since it launched in like December, so I'm assuming 26.1 is just picking up those shows for a wider audience share.

You're right. It's the second run. Dr. Phil has both stations listed on his site and there are a couple other markets out there doing the same. I didn't realize Dr. Phil is already doing that with his show. Anything for money I guess. If I was WBBM, I would start making promos saying CBS 2 is the home for NEW Dr. Phil shows. Because WCIU is giving the sense that Dr. Phil is actually moving to "The U".

WCIU has some good programming. I just don't like the picture quality on the channel. The station already had not so great/crisp picture quality to begin with but then they have all their digital substations loaded which takes away even more. Not exactly the station for HD.

Actually, "U and Me This Morning" has beaten "Good Day Chicago" on many occasions, and had regularly beaten "Monsters and Money" on 2 during it's run a year ago.

Actually, "U and Me This Morning" has beaten "Good Day Chicago" on many occasions, and had regularly beaten "Monsters and Money" on 2 during it's run a year ago.

I really don't know what WCIU is thinking cutting "U and Me This Morning" for a Doctors repeat.. That morning show really is doing quite well compared to Good Day Chicago. It's really a format that WFLD should have taken a long time ago..

I really don't know what WCIU is thinking cutting "U and Me This Morning" for a Doctors repeat.. That morning show really is doing quite well compared to Good Day Chicago. It's really a format that WFLD should have taken a long time ago..

Just realized "U and Me This Morning" isn't getting axed at all. It's going to switch over to a continuous 2 hour format from 6AM to 8AM instead of the 3 half hour chunks between shows. This actually adds an additional half hour to the morning show. I'm liking this idea better.

Just realized "U and Me This Morning" isn't getting axed at all. It's going to switch over to a continuous 2 hour format from 6AM to 8AM instead of the 3 half hour chunks between shows. This actually adds an additional half hour to the morning show. I'm liking this idea better.

WCIU has made a major investment in that morning show. It was seriously a huge undertaking for a station that really didn't have much experience live programming of that scale/nature. It started out as brief cut-ins and from what I have heard, the plan is to be live from 5-9am as soon as they can develop enough content.

Archived