WFAA Victory Plaza Studio

DFW11anchorman

More of the WFAA Downtown V* Studio:

WOW! It's even better in person, I thought the CGI renderings were nice, but this is RIDICLOUS for a news station, not even being the top rated station in your market and having Hothaus graphics are an excuse for this!

More of the WFAA Downtown V* Studio:

WOW! It's even better in person, I thought the CGI renderings were nice, but this is RIDICLOUS for a news station, not even being the top rated station in your market and having Hothaus graphics are an excuse for this!

Yup! It appears that after Belo gets through with WFAA, Channel 8 will be fancy enough to even make New York and Los Angeles stations jealous. And yes, those screens hanging off the sides of the building in the Victory Plaza pics...those do move back and fourth.

Say what you want to...even Belo and WFAA personnel are both denying this. But I wouldn't be surprised if there is a plot afoot to move the entire station facilities to Victory Plaza. Belo would then take over the old Young Street building (that also houses TXCN and Dallas Morning News) for it's main offices. Belo would keep TXCN and DMN there, at the Young Street building.

I remember WFAA 5pm anchor Macie Jepson say once, back when the project first started, that the aim was to generate the electricity and excitement that the network news morning shows (Today, GMA) generate by having a studio that incorporates a live streetfront audience.

The WFAA victory plaza studio will debut at 5 a.m. Monday morning with Daybreak and then GMT. The story was in the Guide Live section of the DMN today. Pretty exciting stuff.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/television/stories/DN-victorystudio_0106gl.State.Edition1.2f9df5c.html

0106glvictorystudios1.jpg

0106glvictorystudios2.jpg

0106glvictorystudios3.jpg

Wow...

Of course that also means that, from the outside, you can look in at all the new and high-tech sights of the Channel 8 studio, which begins broadcast operations at 5 a.m. Monday: the high-definition cameras, the news desk, the weather set, the Good Morning Texas set, and all the lights (more than 150) and plasma screens (44).

IS WFAA GOING HD?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

WFAA went HD a few years back. In fact, it was one of the first American television stations to do so. I can't confirm this, but rumor has it that the current Hothaus graphics package, was originally ushered in on the HD signal only, back when WFAA first broadcast in HD, somewhere between 2002-2004; and that the Hothaus graphics were never broadcast on the analog signal until the big station makeover, back in 2005.

Now, my comments: I like. I REALLY LIKE!

But I do have one concern though: The Daybreak, Midday (noon), and 5pm newscasts all originate from Victory Plaza. The 6pm news and the News 8 Update at 10pm will now still originate from the Young Street building. The 5 o'clock news ends at 5:30 for the ABC News. Won't WFAA eventually get tired of hauling their equipement and their people back and forth from Victory Plaza to Young Street between 5:30 and 6pm? Granted, Victory Plaza is only a block or two away from the Young Street building, but they have to get tired of going back and forth eventually, don't they?

WFAA went HD a few years back. In fact, it was one of the first American television stations to do so. I can't confirm this, but rumor has it that the current Hothaus graphics package, was originally ushered in on the HD signal only, back when WFAA first broadcast in HD, somewhere between 2002-2004; and that the Hothaus graphics were never broadcast on the analog signal until the big station makeover, back in 2005.

Well, that's truthy. WFAA was one of the first stations to broadcast a digital signal (WCBS was the first), but WFAA's news has never actually been broadcast in 16:9 HD. The logistics of putting on a separate graphics package on the digital simulcast are cost-prohibitive (you'd have to be running two separate character generators).

But I do have one concern though: The Daybreak, Midday (noon), and 5pm newscasts all originate from Victory Plaza. The 6pm news and the News 8 Update at 10pm will now still originate from the Young Street building. The 5 o'clock news ends at 5:30 for the ABC News. Won't WFAA eventually get tired of hauling their equipement and their people back and forth from Victory Plaza to Young Street between 5:30 and 6pm? Granted, Victory Plaza is only a block or two away from the Young Street building, but they have to get tired of going back and forth eventually, don't they?

What "equipment" would they have to "haul back and forth" from the two studios? The report says the entire studio will be controlled from WFAA's main control room. It's similar to what KCRA does in Sacramento with the noon news originating from a studio at Arden Fair Mall. (They've been doing that for close to three years now, with no complaints so far.) The only thing that needs to happen is for the talent to get back to WFAA's main studio after the 5:00pm show, and they'll probably have a van there waiting to whisk them that one block back to the main studio.

Anchors aren't quite as lazy as you're making them out to be.

...remotely control the newscast from the regular control room (most likely what they do).

Probably... I'm pretty sure WTKR produces their noon newscast (which is done from their Virginia Beach newsroom) from the main studios.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest wfaa8fan

Amazing photos. I love the new studio. (Good thing they're not tearing down the Young St. studio, was a bit worried at first)

You shouldn't be worried. The Victory Park Studios have no where as much space as their current location is at Young St. WFAA doesn't "use" the whole building section, as many people think. Only their little corner...

Well, that's truthy. WFAA was one of the first stations to broadcast a digital signal (WCBS was the first), but WFAA's news has never actually been broadcast in 16:9 HD.

FYI - WRAL was the first TV station to acquire a digital license and broadcast in HD (1996).

Followed by KOMO in Spring '98. WCBS didn't begin digital broadcasting until Sept '98

Archived