Did CBS 2 dump the time/temp from their bug?

Spring Rubber

I was flipping channels tonight and I noticed that CBS 2 appears to be using a translucent CBS 2 logo for their bug, no time/temp. I don't get what their point is with that. WFLD tried that for a few months this year, but that got undone when they adopted the new O&O graphics. I, for one, prefer having the time/temp on the screen at all times, but then again, I don't watch CBS 2's news much, so it's not going to affect me.

Well, if you read Feder's column, you'd know that CBS 2 dumped the time/temp bug because they want their viewers to keep watching the news instead of seeing the time in the corner of the screen to go do other things or go to bed. Believe it or not, a little thing like this does have a little affect with ratings.

It's all a part of CBS 2's new "cut the crap" format. If you watch the 10PM news, you'd notice they don't go to the first commercial break until around 10:20/10:21 after they do the weather. And no, they do not have a 10 minute commercial break or anything like that towards the end of the newscast. It's just more time for news and drastically much less commercials.

Also, another change to the 10PM newscast is much less graphics. Graphics are now pretty much only used for the OTS and for the weather. No more animated OTS. Pretty much no more lower-thirds; although, you might see it used only once or twice on the 10PM newscast. No more full screen graphics. If a photo of someone or something is shown, they just show the photo covering the full screen.

Well, if you read Feder's column, you'd know that CBS 2 dumped the time/temp bug because they want their viewers to keep watching the news instead of seeing the time in the corner of the screen to go do other things or go to bed. Believe it or not, a little thing like this does have a little affect with ratings.

It's all a part of CBS 2's new "cut the crap" format. If you watch the 10PM news, you'd notice they don't go to the first commercial break until around 10:20/10:21 after they do the weather. And no, they do not have a 10 minute commercial break or anything like that towards the end of the newscast. It's just more time for news and drastically much less commercials.

Also, another change to the 10PM newscast is much less graphics. Graphics are now pretty much only used for the OTS and for the weather. No more animated OTS. Pretty much no more lower-thirds; although, you might see it used only once or twice on the 10PM newscast. No more full screen graphics. If a photo of someone or something is shown, they just show the photo covering the full screen.

I like the commercial thing. I wish more news stations go to that. Commercials at 10 after, after weather, after sports, after coming back for A story, then closing...that's too much. I feel as though everytime they get me interested and staying there with them, music...coming up...UGH!

Less graphics are cool. As WABC in New York shows, you don't need flashy graphics, although they're nice to have. CBS 2's going after the little things that are more psychological than anything else.

Less graphics are cool. As WABC in New York shows, you don't need flashy graphics, although they're nice to have. CBS 2's going after the little things that are more psychological than anything else.

Yes but you don't wanna bore or nauseate (WABC) people with your presentation either.

Wow, I didn't realize they were doing all that. That's really nice. I think that really should help them get viewers if and when the word spreads. One question, how are they making up for the lack of commercials?

• 5 weeks later...

It looks like the no commercial break until 10:21 wasn't worth the money loss; the first commercial break is now at about 10:10, but from watching last night's newscast, it still seems that there are fewer and shorter breaks, except for the last one, which is about four minutes long.

It looks like the no commercial break until 10:21 wasn't worth the money loss; the first commercial break is now at about 10:10, but from watching last night's newscast, it still seems that there are fewer and shorter breaks, except for the last one, which is about four minutes long.

The last commercial break has been very long for the past couple years now.

It would be nice if CBS 2 went back to showing the winning lottery numbers every night like all the other stations in Chicago. It seems for the past couple years now, they've only shown the winning lottery numbers whenever they've felt like it. It went from everyday (the "CBS 2 Works For You" era), to about 2 to 4 times a week, and then to maybe once or twice a month now. Come on, it isn't that hard to catch the live drawing on WGN, copy them down, stick them on some bouncy ball lotto graphics, and show them. Heck, even FOX Chicago shows them every night not too long after the live drawing on WGN.

Never noticed that before. I guess I just would expect it so much that I didn't even think to notice they weren't showing them anymore.

Really, I think WBBM is getting really inconsistent with the 10 PM newscast. As of late, they've started to use more and more graphics, and Wednesday night, they even used a talent open, which seems to contradict the whole "simplicity" thing. It's still an awesome opener, though... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well I for one am glad they stopped doing that hard cut at the beginning. That was retarded. There's nothing wrong with nice graphics, nice music, a nice set. Not that Channel 2 has any of that. Okay, their graphics aren't so bad, just those L3's! And that bug (the one with the time/temp) - can't believe it's lasted over 4 years!

Archived