Big Mic Flags

News4LA

The people at tvspy are discussing how HUGE the new KABC mic flags are. They had the biggest in LA. Now they added "HD" to it make it bigger. What do you guys think? Is this the largest mic flag you have ever seen?

0312h18m02ch94504abc7hdfs2.jpg

0312h18m02ch94504abc7hdoj9.jpg

I could see them getting these flags last year, when the HD thing was new...but now Los Angeles has KABC and KTLA doing news in high definition, with KCBS and KCAL set to do news in HD later this spring. Doesn't make much sense to me, but whatever.

I have seen bigger mic flags, though. TV Azteca in Mexico uses the biggest mic flags I've ever seen...they must be at least 4 inches by 4 inches.

Thats big. WLS's are better.

Yeah, they should have gotten a varient on those.

Speaking of big mic flags, the new Fox O&O logo micflags are a bit on the tall side (due to the design of the logo, and the Fox News Chicago one...UGH)

Lemme tell ya' KABC has got to be one of the most arrogant newsrooms in the country.

But I must say, thank god Paul Moyer and Harold Greene are no longer there. Indeed they

are great anchors, but in real life, they are very rude angry people. Marc and Michelle

are fantastic people though.

And yes...I am really starting to hate KABC and switch over to KNBC. At least they don't

brag about their success, or have car chases ever damn day...some of which are apparently

staged just to jack up ratings so they could brag about great they are, and how everyone else is!

pardon my rant!

Lemme tell ya' KABC has got to be one of the most arrogant newsrooms in the country.

But I must say, thank god Paul Moyer and Harold Greene are no longer there. Indeed they

are great anchors, but in real life, they are very rude angry people. Marc and Michelle

And yes...I am really starting to hate KABC and switch over to KNBC. At least they don't

brag about their success, or have car chases ever damn day...some of which are apparently

staged just to jack up ratings so they could brag about great they are, and how everyone else is!

pardon my rant!

I think you can say that about any ABC O&O station in the country.

Well, there's KGO....you don't really hear them brag much about their newscasts...In fact they even quietly converted to HD,. For an ABC OandO they do a great job with their newscasts, and their talent is top notch, especially Pete Wilson who also hosts a call-in talk show on KGO 810. I guess that's what happened when they dropped Ernie Anderson, and a similar sounding VO guy.. as the VO guy. Ditto for WLS.

Except for Graphics...I don't have much complaint about WABC, but WPVI and KABC are now the Corvette's of the industry.

Well, there's KGO....you don't really hear them brag much about their newscasts...In fact they even quietly converted to HD,. For an ABC OandO they do a great job with their newscasts, and their talent is top notch, especially Pete Wilson who also hosts a call-in talk show on KGO 810.

A low key transition to HD at KGO? Yes, I'll agree with that, but I won't be surprised to see new mic flags with an "HD" logo plastered on it soon.

Frankly, KGO's broadcasts have been on the cheap side recently. There are few live shots (if any), the 9PM show on KBWB is essentially a rerack of the 6PM show (minus the few liveshots), and they've done away with the second anchor on their 5PM and 11PM shows.

Last week, FTVLive reported that KGO will be "bouncing" one of their 6PM anchors with no plans to replace her. Apparently, it's a money issue.

What gives?

I have to defend KABC here... When I was in their newsroom during a journalism conference in LA last year, everyone seemed to be a class act and took the time out to talk to us (even if there were some undesirables in the group). Marc Brown, Michelle Tuzee, Dallas Raines, George Pennacchio, Wendy Burch...all of them seem to be great people who aren't hung up on the fact they're on-air personalities in the second largest market in the country. And it wasn't limited to just the on-air staff; even the behind the scenes people (directors, engineers, editors, assignment editors) all seemed to be great people.

Frankly, KGO's broadcasts have been on the cheap side recently. There are few live shots (if any), the 9PM show on KBWB is essentially a rerack of the 6PM show (minus the few liveshots), and they've done away with the second anchor on their 5PM and 11PM shows.

Last week, FTVLive reported that KGO will be "bouncing" one of their 6PM anchors with no plans to replace her. Apparently, it's a money issue.

Yeah, they have been going cheap for some reason, even during sweeps. The lack of live shots is an issue for me (I don't know, I just like seeing them, I guess) and the one-anchor thing is getting pretty old. According to FTVLive, it's Jessica Aguirre that's being bounced soon (current 6:00 p.m. co-anchor with Pete Wilson); but I just saw her teasing the 6:00 p.m. from the newsroom so who knows.

pardon my rant!

I think you can say that about any ABC O&O station in the country.

Not just the O&Os, many ABC stations in general are like that...KLTV here in Tyler, TX is for sure. They shove their ratings and "Emmy award" in the other stations' face, they had a "Doppler war" with KETK a year ago, when KETK had a promo about having the most powerful doppler radar. At community events, channel 7 always tries to get exclusive access, so other stations aren't even allowed to tape them. Recently, the've even gone as far as to use a variation of another station's slogan-- CBS19 has "Your Local News Leader" and KLTV went at them with "Your East Texas News Leader"...how's that for arrogance?

Man If I were ND, I'd challenge the competition to a duel....Burr-Hamilton Style!

I have to defend KABC here... When I was in their newsroom during a journalism conference in LA last year, everyone seemed to be a class act and took the time out to talk to us (even if there were some undesirables in the group). Marc Brown, Michelle Tuzee, Dallas Raines, George Pennacchio, Wendy Burch...all of them seem to be great people who aren't hung up on the fact they're on-air personalities in the second largest market in the country. And it wasn't limited to just the on-air staff; even the behind the scenes people (directors, engineers, editors, assignment editors) all seemed to be great people.

Yeah, they have been going cheap for some reason, even during sweeps. The lack of live shots is an issue for me (I don't know, I just like seeing them, I guess) and the one-anchor thing is getting pretty old. According to FTVLive, it's Jessica Aguirre that's being bounced soon (current 6:00 p.m. co-anchor with Pete Wilson); but I just saw her teasing the 6:00 p.m. from the newsroom so who knows.

Yes, Marc...Michelle...two former SC alums....very good people indeed...but try travelling to Burbank and the NBC or to Columbia Square....oooh....a li'l testy.

WWL's mic flags are pretty big... then WDSU followed suit and increased the size of their flags. With WDSU's old flags you could barely see the 6 logo.

I guess so many stations are going to the three sided flags in order to save money... am I right or wrong?

matt.

I guess so many stations are going to the three sided flags in order to save money... am I right or wrong?

matt.

Of course not, I'm sure they'd save alot of money with that :)...with only 3 sides, there is more space for a larger logo (some station's logos wouldn't fit on a standard 4-sided flag) or so the logo can be printed bigger.

Thanks for the info Joe... you've just proven that I don't know nuthin' 'bout mic flags. Now birthin' babies on the other hand...

matt. :)

• 2 weeks later...

[

Yes, Marc...Michelle...two former SC alums....very good people indeed...but try travelling to Burbank and the NBC or to Columbia Square....oooh....a li'l testy.

Because Paul is in Burbank and Harold is at Columbia Square.

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. ;)

I watch KABC religiously everyday and yes, they back to their regualar sized flags now. Except that they made the ABC7 logo a bit smaller and put in the same HD logo in yellow. It actually looks pretty good.

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. :o

I watch KABC religiously everyday and yes, they back to their regualar sized flags now. Except that they made the ABC7 logo a bit smaller and put in the same HD logo in yellow. It actually looks pretty good.

The HD Logos are back on KABC but they are integrated on the bottom part of the ABC7 logo. It looks kinda tacky.

Archived