So at what point will CBS realize it's Katie Couric and not the EP?

NewsWatcher

That was a horrible move for everyone involved. You cannot go from doing a softer, lifestyle and entertainment interview format type of morning program to a hard news stick up your butt world newscast.

Hiring Couric to do hard news was the biggest mistake of any network newscast in recent memory. And believe me, it's not because Katie is a woman.

Katie Couric is simply not equiped to be the anchor of a hard news program, nor is she capable of becoming a strong, serious anchor; she lacks the demeanor.

Katie is not a Jessica Savitch, by any means. The only thing I can think of when she does the news is all the silly crap she used to do on the Today Show. She conducted these softball interviews with Hollywood nobodies, which I'm sure she thought qualified her to interview Condoleeza Rice (remember that interview? Where Couric asked the stupidest, most mondane and puzzlingly off-topic questions of our Secretary of State?); she was obviously wrong.

CBS is in a unique situation; it's kinda like bragging to your friends about how you're going to buy this cool new car. Then when you get the car, you decide that it's not as good as you said it was, but you're too embarassed to take it back to the dealership.

CBS should buy out Couric's contract and begin the anchor search all over...

It's kind of disappointing that people aren't watching. But you can't put a no name person on the network evening news, thats why I thought Katie was a good hire. If they are going to look for a new anchor, should they pick a female or male? Preferably i hope they remain deviating from the norm and hire a female anchor. The only i could think of that is famous enough and possess the demeanor some of you talk about is Maria Bartiromo. If they want to go back to the norm, i guess Anderson Copper would be the choice to go with then.

I don't think CBS will be giving up on the format anytime soon. They will give it at least two years before changing things up drastically. You have to remember, putting a woman in the main anchor chair of a network evening news program is entirely new ground. There is no male to balance out like others have done. Katie is it. They took a huge risk and you have to give them props for that.

Personally, I don't think Katie was the right choice. She just doesn't have the commanding presence I like on a national broadcast. Brian and Charlie own their anchor desks and it shows. Katie just doesn't come across that way and I don't really know if that is a quality that could be fixed............but only time will tell.

I would like to see Harry Smith or Russ Mitchell take the chair. I've always liked Harry's anchoring style - very versatile. Kind of reminds me of Charlie. I think Russ has a lot of potential too. I think putting him on The Early Show was a good move - it'll give him more anchoring experience and will expose him to a new realm of viewers.

Guest Junk Junk

I think Russ has a lot of potential too. I think putting him on The Early Show was a good move - it'll give him more anchoring experience and will expose him to a new realm of viewers.

Viewers? Early Show??? HA!

:D

I honestly don't think it's Katie. Someone said that you can't hire a no-name to do a network evening news program. I agree with that. Katie might not have been the right choice, per se, but she was appealing for obvious reasons. Look at how many people tuned in her first two weeks. CBS had a chance there, and they failed to deliver.

What they failed to deliver on was content. CBS tried a few different things, and they made two mistakes there.

First, they didn't do enough to differentiate themselves from the competition. "Aside from Katie Couric, for what reason should I stop watching ABC or NBC? This newcast is pretty much the same, and I'm used to the other one, anyway."

Second, the few things they did try, like "Snapshots" and "freeSpeech" did not last. They were abandoned before they were given a fair chance, and CBS evening news lost what little niches they played into.

I've said it already, but what it boils down to is that CBS lost it's edge a long time ago and doesn't offer anything revolutionary, it offers nothing over the competition. People gave Katie a shot, they didn't see anything different and they fell into their old habits again.

What CBS really needs is not a new producer, not a new anchor and not a new look. They need a visionary. They need an Al Primo. They need a new format, and they need to be different. They are failing because they have been neglected for too long.

I agree, when it's all said and done, Katie Couric will go down in history as the worst mistake in CBS News history. Next to Dan Rather of course. With that said, CBS could take a lesson from one of their fomer affiliates (WTVT) and the way they format news. I would love to see how a "NewsEdge" format play on a national level.

CBS was looking for a quick fix because of her popularity they throw her 15 million dollars. Quite frankly I watch her for the first 2 days she premiered and I am not impress. But on a whole the CBS Network News is doing bad these days especially the local news from their affliates. I believe Katie can do it but CBS have very bad programming in the days, nothing family orientated, nothing for minorities so they should examine the whole network and not only the news department.

What the heck is even the point of a nightly national news program anymore? It's 30-minutes of more news that people have or can see on any other network.

The locals cover all the news anyway...whether it be local, national, or worldly should it be that big of a developing story. Secondly, we don't have enough over-crowded 24 hour news channels that will cover the same stories seen there?

Those 30 minutes just seem so pointless on a nightly basis.

The Problems I still have with Katie is

She still has her head titled to the side when doing the News instead of Straight.

She still looks away from the camera too quickly for the News piece starts

I am glad they don't have her sitting on the CBS news desk with her legs crossed anymore during the closing credits

Everyone has made some very valid points:

* The "Free Speech" and other segments that aired when Katie first came on board were great, but with CBS looking for quick ratings, cut them out before viewers became accustomed to them. I thought "Free Speech" was great.

* Katie isn't the right person for the job. CBS got very desperate and threw a lot of money her way and won her over. Soft interviews and the like fits her very well, not hard news.

* CBS needs a provocative vision and stick with it. What they did over the past 25 years-plus isn't working.

Frankly, when the next anchor search commences, I agree it shouldn't be a no-namer, but for goodness sakes, can they look outside of New York and Los Angeles for once? That not only goes for CBS, but the other two networks also. There are some very good anchors out here across the country that would love to get a shot. Being on Today, GMA or other shows shouldn't be required to become the nightly news anchor.

P.S.: is it me, or does Katie forever has that evil/devilish look on her face. I think it's her eyebrows. ;D

Or do they plan to fire another Executive Producer if the CBS evening News remains in 3rd Place and let the $15 million Girl remain as anchor?

More than likely.

Here's my answer for "So at what point will CBS realize it's Katie Couric and not the EP" question: When the following happens...:

• Pigs fly
  • WTKR becomes #1 in Hampton Roads in the evening
  • Chuck & Sue get fired

Katie Couric is a sex symbol to some, and sex appeal is the thing to go for sometimes, but nevertheless she can't do evening news and the ratings are more proof to this testament. It's just an unmitigated disaster, behind another, what with Dan Rather and all.

Archived