News Music Signatures and Station Slogans

WANEFan

Guest wfaa8fan

Here are some slogan/signatures I know for sure, some were already mentioned:

360 by Arnold: Eyewitness News

Enforcer by Gari: I Love Chicago, Chicago My Home

Newsleader by Arnold: (Back) Home Again in Indiana

Convergence by Arnold: Thirteen Means Local News (later changed to The Spirit of Hampton Roads) (maybe)

WWL Custom and parts of WWL News: The Spirit of Louisiana

Metropolis by Arnold: On Your Side (Metropolis has a 3-note and a 5-note signature, the 5-note version is designed for the opens "On Your Side at 5", the 3-note fits directly with "On Your Side")

Elevation by Arnold: You Need to Know (WFTS's slogan for the short time they used Elevation)

Alive by 615: 11 Alive

AWYT by 615: Always Worth Your Time

Battery by 615: K-P-I-X-TV

Flashpoint: K-T-L-A-5 News

Interceptor: W-C-C-O

Heartland: Straight From the Heart

NewsOne: 7 On Your Side (KGO's slogan way back when)

Seize The Day: (W-S-M-V) Working For You

RHRN by 615: Right Here, Right Now

Umm, then what are they?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some slogan/signatures I know for sure, some were already mentioned:

360 by Arnold: Eyewitness News

Enforcer by Gari: I Love Chicago, Chicago My Home

Newsleader by Arnold: (Back) Home Again in Indiana

Convergence by Arnold: Thirteen Means Local News (later changed to The Spirit of Hampton Roads) (maybe)

WWL Custom and parts of WWL News: The Spirit of Louisiana

Metropolis by Arnold: On Your Side (Metropolis has a 3-note and a 5-note signature, the 5-note version is designed for the opens "On Your Side at 5", the 3-note fits directly with "On Your Side")

Elevation by Arnold: You Need to Know (WFTS's slogan for the short time they used Elevation)

Alive by 615: 11 Alive

AWYT by 615: Always Worth Your Time

Battery by 615: K-P-I-X-TV

Flashpoint: K-T-L-A-5 News

Interceptor: W-C-C-O

Heartland: Straight From the Heart

NewsOne: 7 On Your Side (KGO's slogan way back when)

Seize The Day: (W-S-M-V) Working For You

RHRN by 615: Right Here, Right Now

What makes you so smart?

There has to be some cases where an image campaign was written after the music package itself. If that's true, then the lyrics are written around the signature, and not the other way around. As mentioned multiple times now, just because something fits doesn't mean that the signature was originally meant to accomodate it.

For example, the signature from "Hello News" could stand for nearly any of the markets that used it (and it probably did/does within the context of the market), but the music was not composed specifically to be "Hello Dayton" or "Hello Houston".

Therefore, while image campaigns could provide a clue as to what a composer may have been thinking about when developing a signature, I wouldn't consider them to be necessarily the definitive answer.

Southernmedia, here is a low-quality clip of the "7 On Your Side" campaign to prove to your thick-headed self that NewsOne does stand for "7 On Your Side", KGO's slogan. Again, it is at 20Kb, so it is at extremely low quality...just trying to prove my point here.

Wow. Someone didn't get enough sleep last night.

I'm not interested in starting another war, because quite frankly, it's just not worth my time to correct every inaccuracy out there. You believe what you want, but I'll explain a few things here.

First, it's usually rare for a station to commission a new package with a particular logo in mind. Most composers throw out 3 or 4 choices. How do I know this? Because I've been a part of this. Now, some stations do want their slogan played in a news theme. Just because it fits, doesn't mean they asked for it and doesn't mean the writer intended for it to happen.

It's pretty obvious all the Hearst signatures were designed with those slogans in mind. I mean, why else would there be like 18 versions. But the signature for Battery/Always Worth Your Time was written back when the newscast was called "Channel 5 Eyewitness News." The station didn't go as KPIX-TV, so that doesn't hold up. Do you know the person who was in charge at KPIX that commissioned Battery back then? I sure do.

Second, I can make some really dumb phrases match up with music signatures. Here are some examples using the music logo from News One:

- "I like po-ta-toes"

- "San Fran-cis-co News"

- "Three plus three is six"

- "Our news is the best"

- "Red, blue, green, yel-low"

...and I could go on and on. The image campaign you posted (and I'm so glad you did) from News One is part of News One. However, sing the News One logo and then sing "7 On Your Side." You'll hear (or you should hear) a totally different set of notes. The "Sev-en On" play on one note while "Your Side" play on a different one. The News One logo is "1-2-3-1-1" and not "1-1-1-2-2."

Third, I know that the full logo to "Seize The Day" is "WSMV, Working For You" because I attended the recording session at 615 Studios. After the vocalist was done, Aaron tuned her voice to ensure she was on key for each of the notes she sang.

Fourth, the marketing manager isn't involved in the initial writing and stategy sessions that the head of the company and the composers are involved in. Many times after a package is complete, folks realize that a slogan can match up with the signature, so why not market it that way?

Fifth, I actually do like like it when I get attacked on this board. It actually helps to expose the jealousy and resentment many share for SouthernMedia and the NMSA. But the best part is, those who despise me... well, they just have to visit the site! They're always looking for the one error they can correct and point out to everyone as a "gotcha moment." Real classy.

Now, time to support my knowledge bank. "What makes you so smart," one member writes. Well, considering how I've worked in television news, the music industry, and have attended numerous news music recording sessions, I'd say I have a lot more credibility than a "news music enthusiast." Additionally, I located all the Telesound themes on the NMSA, the Tuesday 1-16 and A-H themes (24 in all), am in contact with the folks at 615 Music and Stephen Arnold Music regularly, have spoken with probably 10-15 of the news music composers out there... I could go on and on.

The problem is that there are too many self-proclaimed experts around. When I started my local TV news website before the NMSA, I coined the term "news music junkies" because that seemed like a humorous way to explain a fascination for this genre of music. Everyone interested in news music needs his "fix" for the day. And while getting the "fix," why not learn something about how this all works? That's why the NMSA was created: get all the information in one place so I can moderate what is considered "authoritative" and what should be researched more.

In creating the archive of facts and stories, many people have learned a lot about news music. But many others don't care... they just want the tunes, and that's fine too. However, most people will always be junkies; a few will rise to the upper levels of inflated titles. Do I consider myself an expert? I don't. I never will. But I know a hell of a lot more than the next guy out there.

There's nothing wrong with being a high school student interested in this genre. However, there are many of us out here who have had many more real-life experiences with this "hobby" that if you cared to listen, you might actually learn something.

I've thought about it long and hard and on many occasions, but I have not decided exactly what's the best way to disciminate what I have picked up through the years and whether it's worth it. I battle with this because if I go to great lengths to help educate and inform, what happens when someone stomps their foot and slams their fist down and simply will not accept what I'm saying? I can argue with people all day that blue apples don't occur naturally, but if you believe in blue apples, I can't convert you.

It seems that I have to come and defend/explain myself too often. Why is that? Well, that's for another thread on a different board.

Guest Esquire

The problem is that there are too many self-proclaimed experts around.

AMEN!

There's nothing wrong with being a high school student interested in this genre. However, there are many of us out here who have had many more real-life experiences with this "hobby" that if you cared to listen, you might actually learn something.

AMEN again!

Good Lord, I can't beliece that everyone's getting so worked up over this.

I don't want to lock the topic because there's much still to be discussed, but I would appreciate it if we would respect each other. This seems like a hot button topic, so let's set some ground rules before we go down in flames.

First of all, if you have a beef with the NMSA, that's OK with me. Discuss it with your friends, PM your peers, e-mail the webmaster. But it's probably best if you don't attack them here. While we are a conduit for much of your news music "junkiness," we aren't affilliated with it and there's no real reason to badmouth them on the board. Should the NMSA have a problem a member, I would expect them to do the same.

Secondly, any and everything in this thread should be taken with a grain of salt. There's no "for sure" way to know what a lot of these signatures mean. I'm sure Frank Gari doesn't remember (or care) whether the signature for Allegro was "K-P-I-X" or "Eye-wit-ness-news." With more recent packages like Seize the Day, sure. But not for something 15+ years old. Just because an image campaign contains the signature does not mean that the words placed over it are representative of it. Someone pointed out that WBBM's CBS, Inc signature was 'reverse-engineered' and represented "Here's 2 Chicago, and here's to our town" or something along those lines. That's just one example of words being matched to a musical logo-- or vice versa. The signature isn't always the same as what you might hear in an image campaign, though it might be in the case of the original client. Isn't that part of the image campaign, anyway? To get us singing call letters or slogans along with that music and binding it to the station? These people are marketing mavens, and I'm sure they can find something to sing along to Right Here, Right Now reflecting whatever the hell is in Glendive.

The point is that some have their sources, and those sources may conflict. But it is not worth going to blows over whether or not someone's information is accurate. I think that if we were to step back and look at this from the point of view of someone who doesn't want the glory of being first, or of claiming they are right. . . well, it probably looks beyond silly.

• 3 weeks later...

Another Kalehoff sig: Industrial Strength "K-R-O-N"

Belive it or not, according to a person who works at K's place, it was commissioned for KRON in San Francisco!

Groove News "K-N-S-D"

Straight Talk" News 10! News 10! N-B-C!"

• 3 weeks later...
- Alain ]

How about the spanish news music signatures?

Telemundo News Theme: "S-C-V" (WSCV-TV Miami, original client) Call letters mean "The One You Watch/See" (Ese Se Ve) in Spanish

Turning Point "U-ni-vision 23" (WLTV-TV Miami, also original client)

Telemundo News Theme is Telemundo, Telemundo. Also, does anyone have a cut or long video of WSCV newscast

I can record a clip.... Cant be until Monday though..

"telemundo" doesn't fit in very well to me.. the flagship's call signs fit in better "Ese Se Ve" Play it and sing it in your head.

- Alain ]

I can record a clip.... Cant be until Monday though..

"telemundo" doesn't fit in very well to me.. the flagship's call signs fit in better "Ese Se Ve" Play it and sing it in your head.

Thanks!!. When I was in Miami I forgot to take my VCR to record some of their newscasts. Yes, it does sound better Ese Se Ve, but also when Telemundo 2 played it here it fitted the Telenoticias name too. I really miss Telemundo news theme.

EDIT: They also play a long closing at 11PM the days they air Laura at 11:35

• 11 months later...

Of course 615's "Chicago's Very Own" would have to be "Chicago's Very Own" for WGN. If you listen to the WGN News Theme (the Non-Stop theme), you can get "WGN" and "Chicago's Very Own" out of it.

It's hard to catch in some places, like, in the first open on Southernmedia for WGN, the mini open at the start clearly is "Chicago's Ve-ry Own" but on the second open, for the noon talent open - you can get "W-GN" out of the beginning of it and it closes with "Chicago's Ve-ry Own" The morning opens are the same you can get "WGN" at the start and then "Chicago's Ve-ry Own" at the end. The 9pm talent seems to be the only open I can't here the "WGN" part in at all, just the "Chicago's Very Own" at the end.

I don't think "Where Local News Comes First" actually emerged until around '96 or so, about a year after Hometown News was introduced. Maybe it was actually part of the plans for branding when it was commisioned?

I wouldn't be surprised though if the signature for the KPRC Custom Package would be something like "Channel Two News Is On Your Side", though they did change the slogan from "On Your Side" to "Working For You" just after they rolled their new look out in the late 80's. Working For You is a bit of a tighter fit mind you...

KPRC began using Hometown News in October of 1994 in addition to their new 2 logo. "Where Local News Comes First" wasn't used until May of 1995, the same time Frank Billingsley became their chief meteorologist.

Well WJBF used Counterpoint from 1992-2006 and it fit with "Coverage You Can Count On, WJBF NewsChannel 6." Because Counterpoint was made in 1992, it's questionable as to if it was made for WJBF or not, and I somewhat doubt it was for a market 114 station.

• 4 weeks later...

Chicagos Very Own (615): W-G-N News....We're Chicagos Very Own.

News Station (Gari): 12 News Arizona...Arizonas News Station.

Eyewitness News (Gari): Sig.1- Eye-wit-ness News

Sig.2- W-A-B-C!...*Stinger Note*

Sig. 3a- We're Eye-witness News, KTRK!

Sig. 3b- We're Chan-nel se-ven, Eye-wit-ness News!

Sig. 3c- We're K-T-R-K, Eye-wit-ness News!

Just some possibilities.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived