WHIO-TV New WideScreen Graphics

tigermichal

WHIO is in the process of rolling out its 16:9 widescreen format newscast. The new graphics package was created by Giant Octopus and is similar to that of sister stations WSB and WFTV. WHIO is the first station in Southwest Ohio to provide a newscast in 16:9 widescreen.

Here's the new NewsCenter 7 Wide Screen graphics from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG7zqPRuCFA

The graphics are alright, like it was said already, they're very simplistic and could have been better, like the Hearst graphics. The Enforcer sounds terrible on WHIO, partly because of poor use of it (I hear all different Series in there, including NIF) and after the bumper and franchise opens, the music just cuts out...they need to go to Enforcer NG or a 615 package. They should have waited to premiere the widescreen newscast until they actually had HD studio cameras, and set up the weather computer for HD...stretched SD video just doesn't look good at all. I'm not impressed, I'd expect better from WHIO.

I don't expect better becasue I know they always have to cheap there way out of everything... they always want to be the first to do something so they just went ahead and claimed they had HD but it's just really a WideScreen version. I feel they are trying to trick viewers with HD televisions.

Not bad for market 58, this is actually the station I used to work for. The weather graphics and stingers are in HD, everything else is in 16:9 SD. They do shoot in 16:9 (its still stretched SD), with YouTube, you can't really get a true look on what it really looks like. They don't call it NewsCenter 7 HD quite yet. They will get the new HD cams this year. They just wanted to go widescreen first and roll out the rest of the goodies throughout 2007.

What TV station stretches 4:3 video to 16:9 on segments :) They should either crop to 14:9 or leave it in 4:3 pillarbox.

Maybe it's a Cox thing, but KTVU has been known to also stretch video from their helicopter and skycams.

Archived