Other TV Station's Studios

lookin_around

SevenHD took the time to explain how ABC's television complex is laid out and even gave us the names of the studios and who uses them (i.e. TV1, TV2, TV7, etc...). Does anybody know the same for the CBS Broadcast Center or the NBC Studios? Do 5, 9 and 11 have multiple studios?

Below is SevenHD's post:

Okay, I'm like Really lost..What are Tv 1,2,and3 Is that inside that ABC building that's like right by WABC?

ABC NY Headquarters calls / identifies their studio names by TV# since the early 60's. This practice is still being used to this day.

ABC Headquarters has a series of buildings along and across West 66th / 67th Streets between Central Park West and Columbus Avenue. The buildings are 7 (Production Studios), 47 (News and Sports), 56 (One Life to Live), 77 (corporate), 147 Columbus Avenue (GMA, 20/20, Primetime offices), 320 West 66th Street (The View and All My Children), and 125 West End Avenue (ABC Radio). There's a 38 West 66th Street, across from 47 West 66th Street that was the former home to 77WABC Radio. Now it's an empty building that ABC owns. On the 67th street side are 30 (Production Studios), 7 Lincoln Square (WABC), and 157 Columbus Avenue (ABC News Productions, Promos, and Soap Casting).

All of these buildings are connected to each other except for 56 and 38 West 66th Street, and 157 Columbus Avenue.

Now the studios....

I have to make a slight correction on the TV1/TV2 studio info because I've did some research by reading an old ABC telephone directory to confirm the EXACT locations of each studio and the shows produced there.

~7 West 66th Street~

One large studio with two sets, switching is done by two control rooms, TV1 (former 20/20, Primetime, Turning Point, Dayone, etc and current Who Wants To Be A Millionaire set) and TV2 (GMA and Tony Danza's former set), located on ground level. Also in the same building, mezzanine level, there's a TV7, which was the home of ABC Sports (Wide World of Sports) and (WABC-TV Eyewitness News before they moved to 7 Lincoln Square in 1979). Now TV7 is empty (dead) studio and used for ABC News.

NOTE: TV1 is located at 7 West 66th Street, A (South) 66th Street side and TV2, B (North) 67th Street side, behind the curtain. Both studios (one large space) were used when ABC News had their presidential election night coverage by building a GIGANTIC election night newsroom set with switching done at TV2.

The Live with Regis and Kelly set will occupy TV2 since this is located on 67th Street (B side), closer to WABC, and they would have a much bigger space than TV1.

TV3 (ABC Newsroom set), 47 West 66th Street, 3rd Floor. Nightline, 20/20, and Primetime are broadcast BACKSTAGE, behind the cameras, inside the same studio.

TV17, 56 West 66th Street, ground level, is the home of One Life to Live.

TV13 (Eyewitness News) and TV14 (Live with Regis and Kelly), WABC-TV 7 Lincoln Square, ground level. Two sets inside one large studio with switching done by two control rooms. EXACT same setup at TV1 and TV2 at 7 West 66th Street. This would change this year when the Live with Regis and Kelly set moves down the block to TV2. I don't know if WABC would use one or two control rooms after the Live set relocation. If they do have two control rooms and one large super soundstage, then the second control room would probably be used as a backup.

TSS is Time Square Studios and what ABC calls the studio because they don't own it. TSS owns the studios and leases it to ABC.

TV23 (All My Children) and TV24 (The View), 320 West 66th Street, ground level.

Hope you guys enjoyed your ABC TV history lesson....

Guest wxman2106

CW 11 has the second floor to the news corp building on the east side. Control room is behind the set ..weather center on the right side of the studio hidden by a wall

I remember going into NewsChannel 4 studios back in 1996. 6th floor Rockafeller Center building. If I remember correctly, the two sets were side by side with a dividing wall in between. When you walk in the TINY set was to the left and the pm set to the right. The weather center was all the way to the right against the side wall, with the green screen across from the pm desk.

With the new sets in there I am not sure if they changed the layout. I remember it was a pretty small space, but then again most tv studios are closets..or walk in freezers. I believe the news room is either 1 floor up or 1 down. I would be interested in seeing the studios again. Sometimes in the NBC Studio tour they stop by WNBC studios, but it is a crapshoot.

Now with MSNBC moving into the building- who knows what changes may be in store.

I remember going into NewsChannel 4 studios back in 1996. 6th floor Rockafeller Center building. If I remember correctly, the two sets were side by side with a dividing wall in between. When you walk in the TINY set was to the left and the pm set to the right. The weather center was all the way to the right against the side wall, with the green screen across from the pm desk.

With the new sets in there I am not sure if they changed the layout. I remember it was a pretty small space, but then again most tv studios are closets..or walk in freezers. I believe the news room is either 1 floor up or 1 down. I would be interested in seeing the studios again. Sometimes in the NBC Studio tour they stop by WNBC studios, but it is a crapshoot.

Now with MSNBC moving into the building- who knows what changes may be in store.

Actually, WNBC's studio, 6B, is quite large. It was the original home of the Tonight Show, before it moved to LA.

WNBC's studio 6B is quite large.

Allow me to do a bit of a diagram:

--------------------------------------------

| SU AM/5PM |

|6/11 |

| |

| IV/N4U|

| |

|WX GS Food |

-------------------DOORS------------------

And WPIX is in the Daily News Building, which makes sense, since it was at one time owned by the paper.

The paper moved out of the building in the mid 1990s and intrestingly shares the same building with WNET/WLIW/BBC in Chelsea.

What I know about the CBS Broadcast Center is that it is home to at least 6 (most likely more) television studios, in addition to the radio studios it holds located mainly on the fourth floor, but I know Katie is on the second or third. WCBS uses the very now overcrowded studio 43 these days, and previously they used studio 46 during the Information-era. Studio 46 is used exclusively by CBS Sports now.

There was a live daily talk show with two idiots a couple of years ago that failed, forget the name, but that came from inside there. Inside Edition also comes from in the Broadcast Center.

880 Newsradio also comes from inside there.

Over on 5th at Trump Plaza there are at least two studios, as The Early Show has one it shared with WCBS for a few years and still uses now, and then WCBS had a small one on the side. CBS Sports also has another studio in there I believe. CBS also has Dave's studio at the Ed Sullivan Theater over on Broadway.

One of the soaps comes out of the Broadcast Center too... but I forget which one.

What I know about the CBS Broadcast Center is that it is home to at least 6 (most likely more) television studios, in addition to the radio studios it holds located mainly on the fourth floor, but I know Katie is on the second or third. WCBS uses the very now overcrowded studio 43 these days, and previously they used studio 46 during the Information-era. Studio 46 is used exclusively by CBS Sports now.

There was a live daily talk show with two idiots a couple of years ago that failed, forget the name, but that came from inside there. Inside Edition also comes from in the Broadcast Center.

880 Newsradio also comes from inside there.

Over on 5th at Trump Plaza there are at least two studios, as The Early Show has one it shared with WCBS for a few years and still uses now, and then WCBS had a small one on the side. CBS Sports also has another studio in there I believe. CBS also has Dave's studio at the Ed Sullivan Theater over on Broadway.

One of the soaps comes out of the Broadcast Center too... but I forget which one.

Actually, Studio 43 is the one which WCBS used to share with CBS Sports.

WCBS broadcasts are "Now, from studio 46..." (as the intro tells ya)

When there is an intro...the 11pm news has not had an intro. They just lead in with what sounds like a new music cut??

yeah, thats the one they've been using at at 5:25/:35ish for studio shots heading to break and coming back. I noticed all this week they have used it to open at 11. it's nice, but I miss intros and hope they aren't doing away with them all together like Doctor did.

Do you guys think WCBS' 6/11pm desk is getting a "complete" makeover? I think it should, it's kind of boring.

I highly doubt it, but I don't think it is out of the question.

My doubts are because of how they made over the morning/noon/5pm set last April. All they did was add the rear projection and change the logo on the desk.

I don't think it is out of the question because going HD could mean WCBS would want more of the glassy elements that set designers enjoy putting into HD sets these days. But overall, I think they might just be adding that rear projection, and maybe if we're lucky a new desk. But I don't think the entire thing is getting a makeover.

As mentioned on another thread, someone had suspected Lonnie may debut next week. I support that suspicion, seeing as WCBS launched the Dunn Attempt the day after Easter last year. I also think that the new set/HD will debut that day as well.

Archived