It's official....KCBS and KCAL going HD this weekend! Bid Farewell to Hollywood!

mbhcity

I was watching CBS 2 News At 11:00 am this morning and I heard Kent Shocknek announce that we should tune in to CBS 2 News At 11 am, for something big will happen. They could not tell the public what was going to happen, but it is pretty clear, at least from those in TV News, that CBS 2 and KCAL 9 will go Hi-Def this weekend or possibly Monday. With that, they will begin broadcasting from the brand news CBS Studio Center on Radford in the San Fernando Valley, thus saying goodbye to Columbia Center after nearly 70 years.

We'll I'm looking forward to it!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Former Member 207

I am too...as I'm writing this, I just caught the end of the KCAL Sports Central update, and they mentioned the farewell to Columbia Square. I'm watching 2 now.

Goodbye to a Hollywood television icon.

CBS COLUMBIA SQUARE

1938-2007

On a side note, next year both 2 and 9 each celebrate their 60th anniversaries, with 2 in May, 9 in August. I wonder if both would at least acknowledge it on the air or on the web.

I am too...as I'm writing this, I just caught the end of the KCAL Sports Central update, and they mentioned the farewell to Columbia Square. I'm watching 2 now.

Goodbye to a Hollywood television icon.

CBS COLUMBIA SQUARE

1938-2007

On a side note, next year both 2 and 9 each celebrate their 60th anniversaries, with 2 in May, 9 in August. I wonder if both would at least acknowledge it on the air or on the web.

It's not going to happen....KCAL's (or should I say Channel 9's) history is something most in the business don't want to speak of, and Channel 2 was great for a time, but began to fall from grace when Larry Tisch took over.

Columbia Square will truly be missed. Many great memories from that building, and now there are only two active broadcasting facilities in Hollywood KCET and KTLA. KNX was the last radio station to broadcast from Hollywood. Even through thick and thin, there was a lot of history there, and I look forward to the future and a better life everyday.

We'll miss you....old CBS Columbia Square.

Thanks for the Memories!

-MBH and TVNT

THE NEW KCBS HD (double click on thumbnails)

0421h17m00ch93501cbs2hdtx1.th.jpg

0421h17m00ch93501cbs2hdzg4.th.jpg

0421h17m00ch93501cbs2hdyx3.th.jpg

0421h17m01ch93501cbs2hdlp2.th.jpg

0421h17m01ch93501cbs2hdda3.th.jpg

0421h17m09ch93501cbs2hdlp4.th.jpg

0421h17m08ch93501cbs2hdxd2.th.jpg

URL=http://img243.imageshack.us/my.php?image=0421h17m02ch93501cbs2hdwr5.jpg]0421h17m12ch93501cbs2hdyy3.th.jpg[/url]

0421h17m12ch93501cbs2hdbk0.th.jpg

0421h17m14ch93501cbs2hdbz3.th.jpg

0421h17m20ch93501cbs2hdqo7.th.jpg

0421h17m18ch93501cbs2hdxf4.th.jpg

0421h17m10ch93501cbs2hddd8.th.jpg

0421h18m03ch93501cbs2hday5.th.jpg

They said the newsroom is a big as a football field.

0421h17m26ch93501cbs2hdhh4.th.jpg

0421h17m08ch93501cbs2hdcj7.th.jpg

Those graphics look :). Especially the opens, wow a step down for KCBS. I don't like the fact that they have a cartoony feel to them,( the colors),. The set looks pretty nice, a little weird since the shape of the desk is not one that is common. Should have gone HOTHAUS instead of VDO.

The new graphics look good but, I like the old graphics better. Great set as always for KCBS. For the most part the new set kept the old set elements. Does anyone know if BDI design the new set? Does anyone have video?

Those graphics look :). Especially the opens, wow a step down for KCBS. I don't like the fact that they have a cartoony feel to them,( the colors),. The set looks pretty nice, a little weird since the shape of the desk is not one that is common. Should have gone HOTHAUS instead of VDO.

I couldn't have said it better myself. The first thing I thought when the 5pm news came on was "am I still in LA?" They're small market, cartoonish and dull. Definitely should have gone Hothaus.

I just saw it....I don't really like it. This would definitely work better in a place like San Diego, Las Vegas, or Phoenix. This new look looks more like a mid-market west coast/interior west operation than something you would see in LA. But considering that they now produce their shows in the Valley, you would expect this.

The set looks too damn big, and the theme music doesn't work here...but it'll do for a few years...It'll probably wear out in five years.

A step down for KCBS and KCAL, and i'll stick to KABC for now.

Overall, not too bad although the lighting needs some major work. Especially on the KCAL side where one side of the anchor's face is noticeably darker than the other side. A couple other things: electrical cords behind the flat panel monitors are noticeable, and they should be tucked away. The weather keying needs some work as the weatherman had a green hue on the side of his face. I think it would be better if they replaced the graphics on the huge video screen with a city backdrop. It would make the set look less cave like.

I don't know why in the hell they would put graphics on the big projection screen behind the desk. I agree with what you said globalbc they should put the L.A. skyline instead of the graphics. Is the music that bad. I wish someone would post up video to listen. Don't worry mbhcity we have an identical KCAL set in San Diego. Basically the same elements in the duopolies sets were incorporated into KFMB's studio when they went HD in January.

Then explain these from WLS? Do these look cartoony? KCBS should have kept their old package. I liked that one. It would have looked great in HD just like WLS's! KCBS's set is nice!

Snapshot168.jpg

Snapshot139.jpg

Snapshot126.jpg

Snapshot105.jpg

also with reguards to the background screen. WFLD in Chicago has the same thing. But they don't put graphics on it. They have an animated background like pictured here. They should consider soemthing like this or just a still background.

Snapshot30.jpg

OMG and its 2 woman anchoring! ;)

KCBS and KCAL, like WCBS in New York, got hosed in the graphics department.

Seriously CBS...just stick with Hothaus.

Hothaus has some nice stuff however, it would be a problem in Chicago.. WBBM would be looking too much like WLS.

This gets me thinking what WBBM's new graphics are going to look like. I'm only guessing they're going to get a new set and new graphics when they move to their new home next year. I really hope they get something good. Heck, I think going back to a modified version of their previous Giant Octopus graphics with their current logo and more blue-ish/silver-ish colors would be nice.

Agreed. Im scared if this is going to be making its way over to WBBM. Its sad that WFLD beats WBBM in ratings and they have only had a 10pm newscast for a week.

I like your idea! That would look great Here! I liked the Giant Octopus graphics era.

It seems like Chicago isnt seeming many HD stations yet. WLS is the only one.

I wonder if KCBS will change their graphics? WCBS's actually look better then KCBS. Just my opinion.

Apparently Mr. Corsini or whomever approved this graphics package didn't look at VDO's website to see how all the graphics they've done look cheap and are all in small markets. KCBS/KCAL would have been better, like someone said, to just take the WCBS graphics. They probably would have saved a lot of money too. Or better yet, they should have taken KPIX's, which still has the best graphics package of any CBS O&O.

Very Good set for CBS 2/KCAL. However I would perfer the Los Angeles skyline than the CBS 2 News graphic either a still pic or a live video especially live video more common these days. Lower 3's are a microimprovement (if thats a word) I dont like the color scheme at all;although the colors are coordinated. I doesnt work for me. Heres a clue CBS 2 uses Miami CBS 4 look is 100 times better, CBS 2 in New York is a 1000 times better even in KYW in Phily well you know the the score. Overall B- KTLA still has the best overall look in town. Now about new graphics for Eyewitness News and Channel 4 News...

Archived