It's official....KCBS and KCAL going HD this weekend! Bid Farewell to Hollywood!

mbhcity

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it that KCAL 9 has an EIGHT day forecast now? If you are going to add that many days to your forecast, why not make it NINE?

I think the 8 day forecast is less accurate....There was a weathercaster at KGO-TV in San Francisco who quit because the news director wanted a five day, instead of a more accurate four day forecast.

In my opinion to KCBS/KCAL, don't look to one-up the other stations, just do what you do!

• 1 month later...

>What did KCBS/KCAL do with their old set?

The KCBS set went to KPIX in San Francisco.

The Sports set was taken to the new KCBS building in Studio city.

The KCAL set went to the Pepperdine University TV journalism dept.

Bill

>What did KCBS/KCAL do with their old set?

The KCBS set went to KPIX in San Francisco.

The Sports set was taken to the new KCBS building in Studio city.

The KCAL set went to the Pepperdine University TV journalism dept.

Bill

I thought they were reusing one of the old sets for the newsroom. Why would the the KCBS set go to KPIX? I'm sure KPIX's budget is big enough that they can afford a new set.

• 1 month later...

Why is it that KCAL 9 has an EIGHT day forecast now? If you are going to add that many days to your forecast, why not make it NINE?

I think the 8 day forecast is less accurate....There was a weathercaster at KGO-TV in San Francisco who quit because the news director wanted a five day, instead of a more accurate four day forecast.

In my opinion to KCBS/KCAL, don't look to one-up the other stations, just do what you do!

Yeah, that was Pete Giddings and it wasn't the news director, per say, but everyone's favorite Chicago GM Joe Ahern that wanted him to up to a 5 or 7 day forecast and he refused.

After he left KGO, he went to KOLO in Reno and then to KION in Salinas/Monterrey. He now has his own website petegiddingsweather.com and does some fill-in work for KGO-Radio.

As an aside...any forecast beyond of 36 to 48-hours is, according to my meteorology professor (and Mississippi's State Climatologist), Dr. Charles Wax, "magic." The NWS can fairly accurately predict what is going to happen up to 36 to 48-hours out from now...beyond that is just a best guess. Which is why the detailed forecasts on TV (including the local weather breaks on the Weather Channel) and some forecasts you pull down from the NWS site are for "Today", "Tonight" and "Tomorrow" (or "Tonight", "Tomorrow", "Tomorrow Night").

Five days, seven days, eight days, ten days...they are all, basically, marketing tools. The National Weather Service provides them because the TV stations demand them. Do those predictions sometimes come true, yeah, but not often.

Yeah, that was Pete Giddings and it wasn't the news director, per say, but everyone's favorite Chicago GM Joe Ahern that wanted him to up to a 5 or 7 day forecast and he refused.

After he left KGO, he went to KOLO in Reno and then to KION in Salinas/Monterrey. He now has his own website petegiddingsweather.com and does some fill-in work for KGO-Radio.

As an aside...any forecast beyond of 36 to 48-hours is, according to my meteorology professor (and Mississippi's State Climatologist), Dr. Charles Wax, "magic." The NWS can fairly accurately predict what is going to happen up to 36 to 48-hours out from now...beyond that is just a best guess. Which is why the detailed forecasts on TV (including the local weather breaks on the Weather Channel) and some forecasts you pull down from the NWS site are for "Today", "Tonight" and "Tomorrow" (or "Tonight", "Tomorrow", "Tomorrow Night").

Five days, seven days, eight days, ten days...they are all, basically, marketing tools. The National Weather Service provides them because the TV stations demand them. Do those predictions sometimes come true, yeah, but not often.

I really don't blame Pete for leaving...Joe Ahern, i'm sorry to say, can be quite the Lawrence Tisch of the local newsroom.

Archived