WLS 6pm Intro

15connects

Yeah, it's all a part of some updated anchor shots for the intros that were recently added. In addition to Goudie, they finally added Ben Bradley to the Sunday morning intro, and re-shot Hosea Sanders, Judy Hsu, and Sylvia Perez. However, for whatever reason, they haven't added Rafer Weigel to the weekend line-ups.

Yeah, it's all a part of some updated anchor shots for the intros that were recently added. In addition to Goudie, they finally added Ben Bradley to the Sunday morning intro, and re-shot Hosea Sanders, Judy Hsu, and Sylvia Perez. However, for whatever reason, they haven't added Rafer Weigel to the weekend line-ups.

Are they going without a talent intro on the weekends?

I only thing I can think of is that they are waiting for a weekend where all four anchors are on to launch the intro, seeing as either Ravi or Karen have gone solo the last few weekends. Frankly, I'm surprised they are updating the videos...I would have thought they'd be getting close to a new graphics package after over 6 YEARS with the current look. However, these changes indicate otherwise...

Either way- when they do finally overhaul the graphics, I'm more than confident that we'll all be blown away!

Yeah. After six years, I'd have to say they're definitely taking advantage of the timeless look this package offers them. Perhaps they're waiting for the next person to retire before switching graphics, much like they did when Joel Daly retired, switching from their in-house design to Hothaus.

As of right now, there's no talent rejoin on the weekend 10pm newscasts.

Good, one of them sucked, yet they used it for ages. Glad they're not using that one anymore. I don't know how no one stopped them from using that one for so much time.

Good, one of them sucked, yet they used it for ages. Glad they're not using that one anymore. I don't know how no one stopped them from using that one for so much time.

The funny thing is that, while there have been two sports anchor changes in the last 3 years, the other 3 anchors' (Karen, Ravi and Phil) talent shots looked the least outdated-looking of all the intros.

In reference to the retirement scenario, I think that could be the case. I've said it before on this site, and I'll say it again; Ron Magers, Linda Yu and Jerry Taft are all easily within 3 or 4 years of retirement (almost 67, 64 and 68, respectively), and there are also several others that are not too far behind. This will be the station's really big chance to freshen it's overall image, and a totally new package make do the trick.

It really hurts to say this, but when it comes to new graphics, we in Chicago may want to keep an eye on WABC's new package this coming Fall, maybe even WPVI's current look. I don't have any insider info, so don't ask...but I just have a feeling that, with all of the American Broadcasting Company's recent boneheaded moves, ABC standardization may not be such an unrealistic idea. Either way, I hope I'm dead wrong!

Speaking of WLS's graphics...I have to vent about something: the one thing about them that really bugs me is the L3's. I like everything about the package, but for the 4 years since they went HD the L3's have been getting more and more stale to me...and less coherent to the rest of the look. They aren't animated at all, they have never fit in with the "swooshiness" of the rest of the package (in my opinion)- and now with the recent additions made in-house that have incorporated more purple in the graphics (on-set monitor logo, "New at..." bug, etc.), they seem ancient and bland. I know I'm being picky (it's late and I'm tired), but if they decide to continue refreshing instead of redesigning, they should really introduce better L3's.

To ABC7's credit, their Hothaus package looks brand-spankin' new compared to NBC5's O&O look that has gone largely unchanged since 2005...but I digress.

Archived