WBBM fires Steve Bartelstein

Jase

From Robert Feder-

http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/chicago-media-blog/14836681/over-and-out-cbs-2-releases-morning-anchor-bartelstein

"Does this make Steve Bartelstein a three-time loser? The north suburban Chicago native who was fired from one New York station for sleeping through a news update and quit another after complaining that he felt “unappreciated” is suddenly out after 10 months as morning news anchor at WBBM-Channel 2.

Bruno Cohen, president and general manager of the CBS-owned station, confirmed that Bartelstein has been released and that his last day on the air was Friday. His bio was removed from the station’s website, and viewers were told nothing of his departure. Weekend news anchor Jim Williams will fill in this week. Bartelstein could not be reached for comment." -- RF

I posted this on Feder's page:

"They should give the morning slot back to Jim Williams, like he had a few years ago...what do they have to lose? In turn, while I am aware of his recent health issues, they should offer the weekend spot to Derrick Blakely, even if he turns it down."

It's funny, the only thing about him that bugged me was that he always read the teleprompter with his head tilted so far back. I know it's a weird thing to criticize, but other than fail to boost ratings, what did he really do wrong? Oh well, another one bites the dust!

I personally liked his more relaxed style and am a little disappointed to see him go. He was just a very comfortable person at the anchor chair. He sat the way that makes him comfortable. He wasn't stiff or uptight like many anchors try to be. He did help the morning news ratings-wise slightly. He would have been alot more fitting if they would have returned to the "fun" style of news they had a few years back; however, producers/management now don't seem to want to return to that format.. Management should have paired him up with Roseanne Tellez to begin with instead of Susan. Anytime Roseanne Tellez filled in for Susan Carlson, the chemistry between Steve and Roseanne was almost 100% perfect. I think it was the closest they would have gotten to the chemistry of Roseanne and Randy Salerno. I understand why management teamed him up with Susan (they're both single and management was hoping there would be a little "spark" between the two) but it didn't work as well as they expected.

You gotta remember when Roseanne left WGN to join Randy, WBBM really had something going for their morning news. It was a well balance of news and fun. The show was really picking up momentum and ratings. I'm sure if circumstances were different, WBBM would have one of the top rated morning news in Chicago by now.. If Steve Bartelstein would have been placed in the mix right after Randy, they may have been able to keep the momentum going. Unfortunately, management decided to just completely shake up the morning news instead of trying to keep what they had going.

I know he wasn't "unappreciated" at WBBM so I don't know what issues/problems arose. Even if I did, it wouldn't be my business to say on here. He still has his apartment in New York, I believe, so I don't know if he'll be remaining here in Chicago or moving back there.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the morning news. I doubt they'll keep the traffic guy when his "contract" is up. I'm sure Megan is going to be sticking around doing the weather but everyone else is up for grabs. I wouldn't be surprised if Roseanne got her old job back. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring in someone new from out of market either. But who knows at this point. I know a few people want Jim Williams for the morning spot but his reporting (and evening anchor filling-in) is just too good for them to give up.. He's one of their top reporters. He's been involved with so much top stories and interviews which would have to be handed off to others if he gets morning anchor permanently. He's pretty much be out of the picture in the evening newscasts which they might not want to risk.

UPDATE: I'm not going to say Steve was "fired" as in traditional sense of being fired. He was released from his contract. I've heard numerous things all morning about this and I think saying "fired" would be a little unfair. I personally think it was more of a mutual thing between him and the station and I don't think he's leaving them in bad terms.

UPDATE: I'm not going to say Steve was "fired" as in traditional sense of being fired. He was released from his contract. I've heard numerous things all morning about this and I think saying "fired" would be a little unfair. I personally think it was more of a mutual thing between him and the station and I don't think he's leaving them in bad terms.

Yeah...I figured this may have been a mutual situation, but since there was nothing to suggest that (as of yet anyway), fired seems appropriate. I don't watch much morning news, so I can't say how much of an impact the lost of Bartelstein is to WBBM. They were in a tough spot before Steve arrived and it was going to take years for them to improve.

This situation provides WBBM with another opportunity to re-evaluate things.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking that CBS2 is seriously considering Jim Williams for the morning news anchor chair. Mai Martinez has been going solo on the weekends since Bartelstein's exit, but tonight she was co-anchoring with weekday reporter Vince Gerasole. I don't know if Gerasole would be a serious candidate for Williams' spot, but it could be a sign that Williams is on mornings for the long haul. It is interesting to note that Gerasole, former 4/4:30pm anchor about 10 years back, last anchored a newscast (11am) on the morning the news broke of Randy Salerno's death 3.5 years ago...seeing as none of the regulars were fit to go on-air.

I'm thinking that CBS2 is seriously considering Jim Williams for the morning news anchor chair. Mai Martinez has been going solo on the weekends since Bartelstein's exit, but tonight she was co-anchoring with weekday reporter Vince Gerasole. I don't know if Gerasole would be a serious candidate for Williams' spot, but it could be a sign that Williams is on mornings for the long haul. It is interesting to note that Gerasole, former 4/4:30pm anchor about 10 years back, last anchored a newscast (11am) on the morning the news broke of Randy Salerno's death 3.5 years ago...seeing as none of the regulars were fit to go on-air.

It's all trial right now (for about a month or 2). If there's positive reaction or position movement in ratings, then likely Jim Williams gets the chair. But at the same time, they are still doing some "talent window shopping" just in case Jim doesn't show expected positivity. He'll have to prove himself to officially assume the chair. New morning news promos just made do not include Jim, but include traffic anchor Derrick Young. I think the future of Derrick depends on who gets the anchor chair. Same goes for meteorologist. I wouldn't be surprised if Mary Kay Kleist got weekday mornings again (especially if Jim is officially selected).

Vince Gerasole has fill-in anchored a few other times since Randy's death. However, I believe he's currently Jim's "official" weekend fill-in. Having a solo anchor on the weekend CBS 2 newscasts has been common practice for over the past year with both Jim and Mai anchoring at the same time minimal (due to their normal workload the rest of the week). Weekend evening ratings show no fluctuation whether they have just 1 main news anchor or 2 so it'll likely remain just Mai; however, the times when Mai can't anchor, they need someone to take her place in which I believe they want to put Vince Gerasole out as that person so they are having him anchor a few times alongside with Mai.

It'll be interesting to see what happens at CBS 2 the next few months.. A couple talent (which I'll keep nameless for now) are getting demo tapes/reels put together to release or send out so it's hard to say what changes will really happen at this point.

Archived