Allison Payne out @ WGN

312newswannabe

This is such sad news for me, growing up in California watching the Nine O'Clock News on WGN with Allison and Steve. I wish her all the best...

from the Suntimes

http://www.suntimes.com/news/foster/6831904-452/allison-payne-leaving-wgn-channel-9.html

Allison Payne leaving WGN-Channel 9

THE SCOOP: AFTER 21 YEARS as an anchor at WGN-Channel 9 and most recently as the co-anchor with Steve Sanders on the “WGN Midday News,” Allison Payne, 47, is leaving the building.

Payne and the station’s management on Tuesday agreed to a substantial buyout of her contract so she can pursue other options. Payne, who has been beset with health issues including a series of mini-strokes and loss of her strong broadcast voice for the past couple of years, told this reporter that her last broadcast for the station will be sometime in September.

The Backstory: In November 2008, Marty Wilke, vice president and general manager of Tribune Co.-owned WGN-Channel 9, issued a statement that “Payne will take an unspecified amount of time off from her co-anchor role to fully rehabilitate from a series of mini-strokes that took her off the air for several weeks earlier this year.” Since that announcement, Payne has been more off than on the air due to her health setbacks.

The talented Payne joined the station in 1990 as anchor Pat Harvey’s replacement. “I’m going to miss WGN, my colleagues here and my loyal viewers,” said Payne. “The station management has been so supportive, and I appreciate this amicable parting, because my health had become a burden to the station. I hope to continue working in broadcasting in some capacity and will consider other professional opportunities,” Payne said. “I also fully intend to continue my work in the community here. If anyone needs to reach me, contact me at AllisonPayne.com.”

I grew up watching WGN's newscasts here in Oklahoma, seeing Allison Payne on-air, although it had been a few years since I watched their newscasts on Superstation WGN/WGN America. Me and my mother noticed something wrong with her about a year ago, that Allison's voice had become kind of gravelly; though I had no idea until a year ago about the past alcoholism and her recent health issues including the strokes. Sad to see her go.

I wonder though, if WGN is going to have Dina Bair become the permanent co-anchor of the WGN Midday News; she would seem like the heir presumptive for that seat since she has co-anchored that newscast for the vast majority of the time since Payne has been off the air. Also, I believe Allison Payne hosts the bi-weekly People to People, so they'd also have to find a replacement host for that show as well.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump, but (according to today's Feder article) longtime medical reporter and de facto midday co-anchor Dina Bair is expected to be announced as Allison Payne's permanent replacement.

Sorry to bump, but (according to today's Feder article) longtime medical reporter and de facto midday co-anchor Dina Bair is expected to be announced as Allison Payne's permanent replacement.

Uh-oh, somebody call the "We don't have a minority on this newscast" police!

Uh-oh, somebody call the "We don't have a minority on this newscast" police!

Oh, WGN-TV still has minority anchors: let's not forget about weekend 9 p.m. anchor Bob Jordan, weeknight 5 p.m. anchor/9 p.m. fill-in anchor Lourdes Duarte and weeknight 9 p.m. anchor Micah Materre. Not to mention reporters like Ana Belaval, Dan Ponce, Gaynor Hall and Muriel Clair. So I don't think anyone'll be complaining that there aren't people of color on WGN's newscasts anytime soon.

Archived