Sinclair Broadcast Group buys Four Points Media Group

T.L. Hughes

Sinclair Broadcast Group has announced that it will purchase the four-year-old Four Ponts Media Group from Cerberus Capital Management for $200 million. Sinclair will operate the seven station group which includes former CBS Corporation-owned stations KUTV and KMYU in Salt Lake City (KMYU, a MyNetworkTV affiliate that was formerly a satellite station of KUTV, is actually licensed to St. George), KEYE-TV in Austin and WTVX in West Palm Beach, under local marketing agreements (effectively replacing Nexstar Broadcasting as Four Points' LMA partners) until the sale closes. This will increase the number of stations owned or operated by Sinclair from 56 to 63 stations.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/2011/09/08/53840/sinclair-buys-four-points-media-for-200m

Now here's the thing, the FCC in 2007 apparently raised the limit of stations a TV station group can own to an national market reach of 39% of U.S. homes. I'm wondering if SInclair would have to put some stations on the market given that with the Four Points purchase Sinclair will own stations in the top 50 markets of West Palm Beach, Austin and Salt Lake City, in addition to the stations it already owns in Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, Raleigh, Nashville, Las Vegas, Cincinnati, Minneapolis and St. Louis. The stations that Sinclair owns in those markets along with all the others it owns or operates have got to put the group's market reach close to, right at or past the 39% limit, wouldn't it? (BTW in Oklahoma City, where I'm from, Sinclair owns the Fox and CW affiliates here, so I'm just curious).

Archived